Near Farmington in Fayette County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
First Roads to the West
In 1755, Maj. Gen. Edward Braddock's British army widened Washington's road and extended it to the Monongahela River. Braddock's Road was an amazing engineering feat. Hundreds of men cut a 12-foot-wide swath through the forest for Braddock's 2,400 soldiers, 13 cannons, about 100 wagons, and a herd of cattle. After the French and Indian War, this road became the main route west until the adjacent National Road reached the Ohio River in 1818.
Erected by Fort Necessity National Battlefield, National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Braddock’s Road and Maj. Gen. Edward Braddock marker series.
Location. 39° 49.921′ N, 79° 36.041′ W. Marker is near Farmington, Pennsylvania, in Fayette County. Marker can be reached from National Pike (U.S. 40) 1.2 miles east of Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Farmington PA 15437, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Old Braddock Road (a few steps from this marker); Braddock Park (a few steps from this marker); A Secret Grave (within shouting distance of this marker); Road to Disaster (within shouting distance of this marker); Braddock’s Grave (within shouting distance of this marker). Click for a list of all markers in Farmington.
Also see . . . John Kennedy Lacock's Braddock Road. 1914 article about the original road lavishly illustrated with maps and vintage postcards. (Submitted on May 3, 2006.)
Categories. • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers • War of 1812 •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,085 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.