Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Arlington in Arlington County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Mouth of Pimmit Run

 
 
The Mouth of Pimmit Run Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, October 28, 2007
1. The Mouth of Pimmit Run Marker
Inscription. Thomas Lee patented land in this area in 1719. Here at the head of navigation of the Potomac River, he established an official tobacco inspection warehouse in 1742, the beginning of Arlington's first industrial complex. After 1794, Philip Richard Fendall and Lewis Hipkins, then owners of 200 acres in the Pimmit Run region built a grist mill, brewery, distillery, cooper and blacksmith shops, and other structures. After 1815, a cloth mill, woolen factory, and paper mill were established along the run, later to be abandoned. In the 1890s the Columbia Light and Power Company used Pimmit Run to generate electricity. Stone from nearby quarries was loaded on scows moored to the iron ring that can still be seen embedded in the rocks below.
 
Erected by Arlington County, Virginia.
 
Location. 38° 55.734′ N, 77° 7.108′ W. Marker is in Arlington, Virginia, in Arlington County. Marker is at the intersection of North Glebe Road (State Highway 120) and 41st Street, on the right when traveling north on North Glebe Road. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Arlington VA 22207, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Pimmit Run and Chain Bridge (here, next to this marker); Chain Bridge
New Location image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, September 15, 2012
2. New Location
The marker was moved to a safer area for viewing in 2011.
(about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Clay and Randolph Duel (approx. mile away); Fort Ethan Allen (approx. half a mile away); Fort Marcy, Virginia (approx. half a mile away); a different marker also named Fort Marcy (approx. half a mile away); Auxiliary Battery (approx. 0.6 miles away); a different marker also named Fort Ethan Allen (approx. 0.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Arlington.
 
More about this marker. The marker has moved to a wayside area just to the west, where 41st Street North intersects Glebe Road (under the overpass of George Washington Parkway). From there one can walk a trail under the bridge where Glebe Road passes Pimmit Run. The trail leads to the mouth of the creek.
 
Also see . . .  Pimmit Run. The framed navigation on the left of the page offers a history section with a chronology of events along Pimmit Run. (Submitted on November 5, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers
 
Two County Markers at the Chain Bridge image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, October 28, 2007
3. Two County Markers at the Chain Bridge
Original location
Masonry Structures Remaining at the Mouth of the Pimmit image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, October 28, 2007
4. Masonry Structures Remaining at the Mouth of the Pimmit
Head of Navigation of the Potomac image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, October 28, 2007
5. Head of Navigation of the Potomac
Looking downstream, the river channel is spread across several courses and around islands.
The Mouth of Pimmit Run image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, October 28, 2007
6. The Mouth of Pimmit Run
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,725 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.   2. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.   3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.   6. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement