Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fernandina Beach in Nassau County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Fernandez Grant

 
 
Fernandez Grant Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, June 25, 2010
1. Fernandez Grant Marker
View of the south side of the historical marker.
Inscription. [South Side of Marker]

During the Spanish and English periods of Florida history, many large tracts of land were granted primarily to induce settlement. All that remains of the Don Domingo Fernandez Spanish Grant is the family cemetery and this park. Royal title to this property was granted August 9, 1807. This land was once a part of the Earl of Egmont property on Amelia Island, which included the present site of the City of Fernandina Beach.

[North Side of Marker]

On January 1, 1825, the Legislative Council of the Territory of Florida passed "an act to incorporate the city of Fernandina." Little development resulted until 1853 when the Florida Railroad Company announced that Fernandina would form the eastern terminus for the first cross state railroad in Florida. This stimulated the growth of Florida by making a portion of the interior more accessible for further development and population growth.
 
Erected 1972 by The People of Saint Michael's Parish In Cooperation With Department of State. (Marker Number F-198.)
 
Location. 30° 40.455′ N, 81° 27.691′ W. Marker is in Fernandina Beach, Florida, in Nassau County. Marker is on North 4th Street south of Calhoun
Fernandez Grant Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, June 25, 2010
2. Fernandez Grant Marker
View of the north side of the historical marker.
Street. Click for map. This historical marker is located just north of the community's downtown business district. It is situated by a park that has a small family cemetery with several very ornate burial stones in it and immediately north of the St. Michael's Academy. Marker is in this post office area: Fernandina Beach FL 32034, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Phelan-Verot House Built Prior to 1866 (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); David L. Yulee (about 700 feet away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Lesesne House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Nassau County Historic Courthouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); Memorial United Methodist Church (approx. mile away); Revolutionary War Invasion of British East Florida (approx. 0.3 miles away); Florida's First Atlantic to Gulf Railroad (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Fernandina Beach.
 
Categories. Colonial EraIndustry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers
 
Fernandez Grant Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, June 25, 2010
3. Fernandez Grant Marker
View looking south on North 4th Street.
Fernandez Grant Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, June 25, 2010
4. Fernandez Grant Marker
View looking southeast into the community park that is adjacent to the east of the historical marker.
Fernandez Grant image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, June 25, 2010
5. Fernandez Grant
View of the Fernandez family cemetery that is located in the community park, just east of the historical marker.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 639 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.   4, 5. submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement