Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Fredericksburg in Stafford County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Camp Pitcher

History at Leeland Station

 
 
Camp Pitcher Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, July 21, 2010
1. Camp Pitcher Marker
Inscription. Following its defeat at the Battle of Fredericksburg in December 1862, the Union Army of the Potomac went into winter quarters in Stafford County. Here at Bell-Air (the nearly 400-acre estate of Abraham Primmer, which the Leeland Station community now encompasses), elements of Brigadier General David B. Birney’s division laid out its camps, while their commander established his headquarters at the house. In honor of Major William L. Pitcher of the 4th Maine Infantry, who was killed at Fredericksburg, the encampment was named “Camp Pitcher.”

Soldiers scavenged livestock, fence rails, crops and lumber from local inhabitants. After four months at this location, the area was stripped clean. In March 1863, Union troops left Bell-Air and moved to new camps near Belle Plain along Potomac Creek.

After the war, Primmer received, $2,752.50 from the federal government as compensation for the damage done to his property. His list of damages included four miles of fence and 160 acres of timber consumed as fuel; 20 cords of fruit trees destroyed; hogs, hay and fodder taken; and boards confiscated for use in the construction of coffins.
 
Erected by Maryland Development Company LLC and the homeowners of Leeland Station.
 
Location.
Leeland Station subdivision image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, July 21, 2010
2. Leeland Station subdivision
38° 20.386′ N, 77° 26.24′ W. Marker is near Fredericksburg, Virginia, in Stafford County. Marker is on Leeland Road (County Route 626) 0.1 miles north of Walnut Farms Parkway, on the left when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fredericksburg VA 22405, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. History at Leeland Station (approx. half a mile away); Cavalry Review (approx. 1.1 miles away); Lincoln Review (approx. 1.2 miles away); Land for God's Work (approx. 1.3 miles away); Civil War Observation Balloon Site (approx. 1.7 miles away); "Lest We Forget" (approx. 1.9 miles away); Olympians (approx. 1.9 miles away); Potomac Creek Bridge (approx. 1.9 miles away).
 
More about this marker. On tle lower left is a period photo with the caption, "Winter camps, such as the one depicted here, were hard on local landowners. Fences and woodlots disappeared as fuel for fires and building materials for the soldiers’ huts."

On the upper right is a period photo with the caption, "Supplies transported from Aquia Creek to Stoneman’s Switch (above) furnished Union soldiers at camp Pitcher and other nearby encampments with food, clothing and other materials necessary to survive the winter."
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
Leeland Road (facing north) image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, July 21, 2010
3. Leeland Road (facing north)
Stoneman's Station, Va, ca. 1860 - ca. 1865 image. Click for full size.
By Brady National Photographic Art Gallery, circa 1865
4. Stoneman's Station, Va, ca. 1860 - ca. 1865
National Archives [ARC Identifier 524667 / Local Identifier 111-B-248]
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,155 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement