Inscription. Late in the day General Butterfield's division of the Federal XX Army Corps fought past the Dickson House intending to assault the Confederate entrenchments at Gilgal Church, 300 yards south of this point near the intersection of Acworth-Due West and Kennesaw-Due West roads. High ground was gained 50 yards north of the roads, but the assault on the defenses was not made due to darkness and Confederate resistance. In this action the house was heavily damaged by artillery and rifle fire but remained standing. Referred to as the "Dixon House" in 1864 military maps, it served as headquarters for General Joseph Hooker on June 17, 1864.
By David Seibert, January 31, 2008
|1. Site of the Dickson House Marker|
Erected 2008 by Cobb County Community Development Department.
Location. 33° 58.602′ N, 84° 40.16′ W. Marker is near Marietta, Georgia, in Cobb County. Marker is at the intersection of Acworth-Due West Road and Abbey Oaks Lane, on the right when traveling south on Acworth-Due West Road. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 805 Acworth-Due West Road, Kennesaw GA 30152, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, as the crow flies. Battle of Gilgal Church (approx. half a mile away); Due West Community (approx. 0.6 miles away); Military Action at Gilgal Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Reversed Trench (approx. ¾ mile away); Battle of Pine Knob (approx. one mile away); Davis' Cross Roads (approx. 1.2 miles away); Captain Peter Simonson (approx. 1.5 miles away); Stilesboro-Sandtown Crossroads (approx. 1.5 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Marietta.
By David Seibert, July 15, 2010
|2. The Dickson House|
|The Dickson House, after Cobb County moved the house to a new location on county property behind 1792 County Services Parkway.|
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
Also see . . . Rediscovered Memoir Adds to Urgency of Effort to Save Battle-Scarred House. Details plans to save the house and preserve it for future generations. The Dickson House was moved by Cobb County to a new location behind the County Department of Transportation on County Services Parkway, where it has been restored. (Submitted on September 27, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.)
Credits. This page originally submitted on September 25, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 945 times since then. Last updated on July 22, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. Photos: 1. submitted on September 25, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 2. submitted on July 22, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |