Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Delavan in Walworth County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Wisconsin's First School for the Deaf

 
 
Wisconsin's First School for the Deaf Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul F, July 21, 2010
1. Wisconsin's First School for the Deaf Marker
Inscription. In 1839 Ebenezer Cheseboro emigrated to Wisconsin from New York and settled in the town of Darien, two miles west of Delavan on the Janesville road. Due to the lack of a school for his deaf daughter, Ariadna, a teacher of the deaf was hired to come to the home. Two years later the school, then numbering eight pupils, had to be discontinued for lack of funds.
A petition for the establishment and maintenance of a school for deaf children was then sent to the State Legislature. On April 19, 1852, a bill was passed incorporating a school for the deaf to be located in Walworth County. Soon after, Franklin K. Phoenix, the son of one of the founders of Delavan, donated twelve acres of land to be used as the school site. The grounds are called “Phoenix Green” in his honor.
The school now comprises thirty-five acres of land and is supported by the State of Wisconsin. On October 20, 1962, dedication ceremonies were held for the Wisconsin Rehabilitation Center for the Deaf, also located on this site.
 
Erected 1969 by Junior National Association of the Deaf. (Marker Number 166.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Wisconsin Historical Society marker series.
 
Location. 42° 37.984′ N,
Wisconsin's First School for the Deaf Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul F, July 21, 2010
2. Wisconsin's First School for the Deaf Marker
Main Entrance
88° 39.37′ W. Marker is in Delavan, Wisconsin, in Walworth County. Marker is at the intersection of West Walworth Avenue (State Highway 11) and Beloit Street (County Route X), on the right when traveling west on West Walworth Avenue. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Delavan WI 53115, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Delavan's Circus Colony (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Delavanís Historic Brick Street (approx. half a mile away); Birthplace of “The Greatest Show on Earth” (approx. 0.9 miles away); John Bruce (approx. 3.6 miles away); Darien Civil War Memorial (approx. 3.6 miles away); The 755th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron (approx. 6 miles away); The Webster House (approx. 6.3 miles away); Allen Family (approx. 6.5 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Delavan.
 
Categories. Education
 
Wisconsin School for the Deaf image. Click for full size.
By Paul F, July 21, 2010
3. Wisconsin School for the Deaf
Wisconsin's First School for the Deaf Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul F, July 21, 2010
4. Wisconsin's First School for the Deaf Marker
Wisconsin School for the Deaf image. Click for full size.
By Paul F, July 21, 2010
5. Wisconsin School for the Deaf
Stone marker visible on previous picture
Wisconsin School for the Deaf image. Click for full size.
By Paul F, July 21, 2010
6. Wisconsin School for the Deaf
Plaque on stone The Wisconsin Association of the Deaf Organized June 8, 1876 Incorporated May 6, 1899 Golden Jubilee - June, 1926
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 795 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement