Gaithersburg in Montgomery County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Gaithersburg Washington Grove Volunteer Fire Department
These and other advances assisted these brave volunteers as they continued their heroic fire fighting battles. In 1914 a fire destroyed two private homes: ten years later a fire consumed the Thomas Feed and Fertilizer store; and in 1926 a fire destroyed Etchison's Store, the Post Office, and Brewers Real Estate offices. After Gaithersburg and nearby Washington Grove had suffered terrible losses from fires, they joined forces and in 1928 chartered the Gaithersburg-Washington Grove Volunteer Fire Department. Fully manned by volunteers, early operations of the department were funded with contributions from its volunteers as well as community fund raising events, such as the Labor Day Parade.
(Photo caption): The Gaithersburg-Washington Grove Volunteer Fire Department, circa 1930
(Dedication in the lower left-hand corner of marker): This plaque is offered in grateful tribute to the brave men and women who serve in the Gaithersburg-Washington Grove Volunteer Fire Department and in memory of Captain Wesley Briggs who lost his life in the line of duty in 1952
Erected by City of Gaithersburg.
Location. 39° 8.502′ N, 77° 11.564′ W. Marker is in Gaithersburg, Maryland, in Montgomery County. Marker can be reached from Summit Avenue near Diamond Avenue. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Gaithersburg MD 20877, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Early Years (here, next to this marker); Building The Future (here, The Schwartz House / Gaithersburg City Hall / Schwartz Peony Garden (here, next to this marker); The Business of Agriculture: (here, next to this marker); Supplying an Agricultural Community (here, next to this marker); The Gaithersburg School (here, next to this marker); The Summit Hotel (here, next to this marker); Serving the Community's Health Care Needs (here, next to this marker). Click for a list of all markers in Gaithersburg.
Also see . . . GWGVFD Fire Museum. 13 E. Diamond Avenue housed the GWGVFD from the 1930s until 1978, when the Department moved to its current firehouse on Montgomery Village Avenue. (Submitted on March 11, 2017, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.)
Categories. • Heroes •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,177 times since then and 59 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on , by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page was last revised on March 21, 2017.