Roswell in Fulton County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
McPherson’s Troops at Shallow Ford
July 10, 1864. Dodge’s 16th A.C., after a forced march of 27 mi. from the Sandtown Rd. (near Mableton), via Marietta, reached Roswell. The troops waded the river & relieved Newton’s 4th A.C. div. in the trenches S. of it.
July 15. Logan’s 15th A.C. reached Roswell & crossed on the two bridges built by Dodge’s engineers. With the arrival of Blair’s 17th A.C., July 17, McPherson’s forces [US] ~ reassembled after a long march ~ moved toward Decatur.
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 060-6.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 34° 0.285′ N, 84° 21.176′ W. Marker is in Roswell, Georgia, in Fulton County. Marker is on Azalea Drive 0.1 miles west of Roswell Road (Georgia Route 9), on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Roswell GA 30075, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Garrard’s Cav. & Newton’s Division (a few steps from this marker); Founders' Cemetery Roswell Factory (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Old Bricks (approx. 0.9 miles away); Barrington Hall (approx. 0.9 miles away); Bulloch Hall (approx. 0.9 miles away); Hightower (Etowah) Trail (approx. one mile away); Roswell Presbyterian Church (approx. 1.1 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Roswell.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 818 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.