“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Preston in Caroline County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)


Preston Marker image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, November 3, 2007
1. Preston Marker
Inscription. Started 1846 around Frazier's Chapel, an early Methodist Church, the land for which was purchased 1797. First called "Snowhill", the name was changed to Preston 1856, in honor of a prominent Baltimore lawyer. Preston was chartered as a town 1892.
Erected by State Roads Commission.
Location. 38° 42.716′ N, 75° 54.49′ W. Marker is in Preston, Maryland, in Caroline County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (Maryland Route 331) and Maple Street, on the right when traveling south on Main Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Preston MD 21655, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of Frazierís Chapel (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Linchester Mill-Living Dangerously (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Underground Railroad (approx. 0.9 miles away); Linchester (approx. 0.9 miles away); Linchester Mill (approx. one mile away); Leverton House-Finding Safe Haven (approx. 1.1 miles away); Mt. Pleasant Cemetery-Dangerous Rendezvous (approx. 1.1 miles away); Mt. Pleasant M. E. Church (approx. 1.1 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Preston.
Also see . . .  Preston, Maryland web site. For a town of 566 people this is an excellent website. (Submitted on November 6, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.) 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Notable PersonsSettlements & Settlers
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,126 times since then and 62 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement