Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Norfolk, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Northern Limit of Old Norfolk

 
 
Northern Limit of Old Norfolk Marker image. Click for full size.
By Laura Troy, November 4, 2007
1. Northern Limit of Old Norfolk Marker
Inscription. This marks the Northern limit of the fifty acres constituting the original town of Norfolk. It was bounded on the North by Town Back Creek and Dun-In-The-Mire Creek. The land was purchased as a port for lower Norfolk county for “tenn thousand pounds of tobacco and caske,” being deeded to feoffees in trust for the County in 1682. It was divided into streets and sold in half-acre lots.
 
Erected 1931 by City of Norfolk.
 
Location. 36° 50.82′ N, 76° 17.115′ W. Marker is in Norfolk, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of St Paul's Boulevard and East City Hall Avenue, on the right when traveling north on St Paul's Boulevard. Click for map. This markers sits on the wall that surrounds St Paul’s Church. Marker is in this post office area: Norfolk VA 23510, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. Paul’s Church, 1739 (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Willoughby-Baylor House, 1794 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Commercial Place (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old City Hall and Courthouse, 1850 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Whitehead House, 1791
Northern Limit of Old Norfolk Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, June 23, 2015
2. Northern Limit of Old Norfolk Marker
(approx. ¼ mile away); Freemason Street Baptist Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Moses Myers, House 1792 (approx. ¼ mile away); Tripoli Street (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Norfolk.
 
More about this marker. “Feoffees” is an old English law term roughly equivalent to today’s “trustee.” Marker was originally erected at the corner of Cove and Church Streets in the late 1920s or early 1930s. Cove Street no longer exists.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Laura Troy of Burke, Virginia. This page has been viewed 837 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on , by Laura Troy of Burke, Virginia.   2. submitted on , by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement