Bay City in Bay County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
“Ten Hours or No Sawdust”
When Bay City's sawmills opened in 1885, mill owners notified workers that wages would be 12 to 25 percent lower than in 1884. On July 6, 1885, Bay City millhands began to walk off the job. Their slogan, "Ten Hours or No Sawdust," represented their demand for a ten-hour workday, higher wages and semimonthly pay. On July 9, 1885, D.C. Blinn, editor of Bay City's Labor Vindicator and a member of the Knights of Labor, held a rally at Bay City's Madison Park. After the rally, millhands left by barge for Saginaw, where they closed the mills the next day. The demands of the millhands were rejected, and the sporadic violence that followed led the mayors of Bay City and Saginaw to seek help from the state militia and private detectives.
On July 14, 1885, Governor Russell A. Alger, a wealthy lumberman, came to Bay City to attempt to resolve the strike that had closed Bay City and Saginaw mills. From the steps of the Frazer Hotel, across the street from this site, he spoke to a crowd of millhands, warning against further violence. On July 29, Terence V. Powderly, Grand Master of the Knights of Labor, came to the valley. He urged the millhands to return to work with a ten-hour day and reduced wages. Nevertheless, the strike continued for several weeks, with support from the people of Bay City.
Erected 1987 by Bureau of History, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L1413.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 43° 35.876′ N, 83° 53.415′ W. Marker is in Bay City, Michigan, in Bay County. Marker is on North Water Street 0 miles south of Center Street, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Center Street is 2 blocks north of Seventh Street (State Highway 25). Marker is in this post office area: Bay City MI 48708, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Center Avenue (approx. 0.3 miles away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Trinity Church/Trinity Episcopal Church (approx. half a mile away); Charles B. & Geogiana (McGraw) Curtiss House (approx. half a mile away).
Categories. • Labor Unions •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 982 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.