Eufaula in Barbour County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Fendall Hall / Young and Dent
The Young - Dent Home
Built between 1856 and 1860 by Edward Brown Young and his wife, Ann Fendall Beall, this was one of the first of the great Italianate style homes constructed in Eufaula. It later became the home of the builders’ daughter, Anna Beall Young, and her husband, Stouten Hubert Dent. The Dents renovated the house in the 1880s in the styles and colors then popular, and hired a Mr. LaFranc to stencil and paint the ceilings and walls of the hall, parlor, and dining room. These three rooms are the finest examples of this work surviving in Alabama and compare favorably with any in the country. Among the other unique original features of the house were the black and white marble floored entrance hall and the plumbing system, which was fed by attic cisterns.
After having served as a home for five generations of Youngs and their descendants, the property was acquired by the Alabama Historical Commission in 1973.
Entered on the National Register of Historic Places 28 July 1970.
Edward Brown Young, a native of New York City, and his wife, Ann Fendall Beall, of Warren County, Georgia, settled in Eufaula in 1837 where he began a career as a banker, merchant, and entrepreneur. Young organized the company which built the first bridge across the Chattahoochee River at Eufaula, founded successful banks
The Young's daughter, Anna Beall, married Stouten Hubert Dent, who was born in Charles County, Maryland, and moved to Eufala in 1854 where he taught school and later practiced law. During the War Between the States he rose to the rank of Captain, commanded "Dent's Alabama Battery" of artillery in the Army of Tennessee and was wounded at Shiloh and near Nashville and Atlanta. Following the War he resumed his law practice, became president of the Eufala National bank, served as a trustee of what is now the University of Montevallo and was a delegate to the Alabama Constitutional Convention of 1901.
Erected 1990 by Alabama Historical Commission.
Location. 31° 53.524′ N, 85° 9.419′ W. Marker is in Eufaula, Alabama, in Barbour County. Marker is on West Barbour Street, on the left when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 917 West Barbour Street, Eufaula AL 36027, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. General Grierson’s March (approx. 0.3 miles away); Cowikee Cotton Mills Eufaula First United Methodist Church (approx. 0.7 miles away); Hart House (approx. 0.7 miles away); First Baptist Church of Eufaula (approx. 0.8 miles away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.8 miles away); Eufaula (approx. 0.9 miles away); Central Railroad of Georgia Freight Depot (approx. one mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Eufaula.
Categories. • Education • Industry & Commerce • Politics • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,841 times since then and 178 times this year. Last updated on , by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. 4. submitted on . • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Picture of text on other side of this marker. • Can you help?