HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Westland in Wayne County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Perrinsville School
 
Perrinsville School Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Joel S., July 29, 2010
1. Perrinsville School Marker
 
Inscription. Perrinsville began with a sawmill established by Abraham and Isaac Perrin around 1832. During the next century three one-room schools served area children. The first, a wooden school, was erected in 1833 on the Marcus Swift farm. A second, larger one, was built on the William Osband farm in 1843. This building, constructed in 1856 on land purchased from Isaac and Hannah Swift Perrin by Nankin District No. 2, was the first brick school in the township. Classes were held here until 1937 when Henry Ford constructed the nearby Nankin Mills schoolhouse as a replacement. Perrinsville School served as a church from 1948 to 1968. Having suffered many changes over the years, including removal of the teacher's platform, the cupola and the wainscoting, the school has been restored to its 1890s appearance by the city of Westland, which acquired it in 1990.
 
Erected 1997 by Michigan Historical Center, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L1996.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
 
Location. 42° 20.382′ N, 83° 21.317′ W. Marker is in Westland, Michigan, in Wayne County. Marker is at the intersection of Warren Road and Cowan Road, on the right
 
Perrinsville School and Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Joel S., July 29, 2010
2. Perrinsville School and Marker
 
when traveling west on Warren Road. Click for map. Cowan Road is 0.25 miles west of Merriman Road. Marker is at or near this postal address: 31755 Cowan Road, Westland MI 48185, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A Nankin Pioneer (approx. half a mile away); Perrinsville (approx. 0.6 miles away); Cooper School (approx. 1.8 miles away); George A. Custer U.S. Army Reserve Center (approx. 3.3 miles away); Wallaceville School (approx. 3.4 miles away); Eloise Poorhouse/Hospital (approx. 3.7 miles away); Dearborn Hills Golf Club (approx. 4.9 miles away); St. Joseph's Retreat (approx. 5.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Westland.
 
Perrinsville School and Donation Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Joel S., July 29, 2010
3. Perrinsville School and Donation Marker
 
 
Perrinsville School Donation Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Joel S., July 29, 2010
4. Perrinsville School Donation Marker
This property & building
Donated by:
Marcello Scappaticci
Silvio Scappaticci
Alphonse Tabaka
August 1992
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on July 30, 2010, by Joel S. of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 638 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 30, 2010, by Joel S. of Madison Heights, Michigan. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
 
Recommend or Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 555 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.