Inscription. Member Maryland Assembly 1773–76. Introduced bill forming Caroline County 1774 of which he was one of the Commissioners. Colonel of the “Flying Camp” of the Eastern Shore 1776. Fought at Harlem Heights. First Colonel 5th Maryland Regiment. Moved Continental Treasury from Philadelphia to Baltimore 1777. Helped suppress Tory rebellions in lower Eastern Shore. Presidential Elector 1789–1793. Lived and lies buried at Gilpinís Point.
By Beverly Pfingsten, November 3, 2007
|1. Colonel William Richardson Marker|
Erected by State Roads Commission.
Location. 38° 47.611′ N, 75° 52.167′ W. Marker is near Preston, Maryland, in Caroline County. Marker is at the intersection of Harmony Road (Maryland Route 16) and Wilkins Branch Road, on the left when traveling north on Harmony Road. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Preston MD 21655, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. “Sailing Away to Freedom”-Glipin Point (approx. 1.8 miles away); William Richardson (approx. 1.9 miles away); Charles Dickenson (approx. 2.2 miles away); Webb Cabin-Living Free (approx. 2.9 miles away); William Still Center-Families Divided & United (approx. 3.3 miles away); Frederick Douglass (approx. 3.6 miles away); Mt. Pleasant Cemetery-Dangerous Rendezvous (approx. 5.9 miles away); Site of Frazierís Chapel (approx. 5.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Preston.
Also see . . . Flying Camp Battalion. Article by John Allen Miller (Submitted on November 6, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
Credits. This page originally submitted on November 6, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,664 times since then. Photo 1. submitted on November 6, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |