Georgetown in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
—Georgetown Historic District —
Samuel Davidson, a Scot of original character, purchased the site and built Evermay, 1792-1794, with proceeds of the sale of lands he owned which include part of the present site of the White House and Lafayette Square. Davidson was buried in a corner of Evermay which now belongs to Oak Hill Cemetery. His estate passed to a nephew in Scotland, Lewis Grant, who accepted the condition that he move to Georgetown and assume the Davidson surname, F. Lammot Belin, the fifth owner of the property, restored Evermay in 1924.
National Society of Colonial Dames of America in the District of Columbia
Erected 1950 by National Society of Colonial Dames of America in the District of Columbia.
Marker series. This marker is included in the National Society of Colonial Dames of America marker series.
Location. 38° 54.726′ N, 77° 3.424′ W. Marker is in Georgetown, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker is on 28th Street, NW 0.1 miles south of R Street, NW, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1623 28th Street, NW, Washington DC 20007, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking Lillie Mackall (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Dumbarton House (about 600 feet away); Georgetown Refuge (about 800 feet away); Parrott Ropewalk (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mt. Zion United Methodist Church Parsonage (approx. ¼ mile away); Robert Emmet (approx. ¼ mile away); Margaret Peters and Roumania Peters Walker (approx. 0.3 miles away); Emma V. Brown Residence (approx. 0.3 miles away).
Also see . . . Evermay, Georgetown. (Submitted on July 31, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
Additional keywords. Samuel Davidson House; Oak Hills Cemetery.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Colonial Era • Landmarks •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 741 times since then and 80 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.