“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Refugio in Refugio County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)

Refugio County Courthouse

Refugio County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Gustafson, June 11, 2010
1. Refugio County Courthouse Marker
Inscription. The county and city of Refugio are named after the Spanish Mission de Nuestra Seņora del Refugio (the Mission of Our Lady of Refuge) established here in 1795. The Spanish mission building served as Refugio County's courthouse at various times from 1837 to 1848.

Construction of a permanent county courthouse began about 1850 here on the town's central plaza, dedicated for municipal buildings when Refugio was a Mexican pueblo (1821-1836). The one-story courthouse, made from shell concrete and cypress lumber, was enlarged to a two-story structure in the late 1850s. A new courthouse, built in the mid-1870s, burned in 1879 and was replaced with a new structure in 1880. The fifth Refugio County courthouse, designed by San Antonio architect Atlee B. Ayres and built by local contractor W. H. Borglud, was completed at this site in December 1917.

In the 1920s oil and natural gas were discovered in significant quantities throughout Refugio County. The burgeoning oil and gas industries led to an increase in population and business activity in the county, and in the 1950s the county courthouse was expanded with the addition of north and south wings. Refugio County courthouse continues its traditional role as the county's governmental and judicial center.

Sesquicentennial of Texas Statehood 1845-1995.
Refugio County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Steve Gustafson, June 11, 2010
2. Refugio County Courthouse
1994 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4233.)
Location. 28° 17.792′ N, 97° 16.536′ W. Marker is in Refugio, Texas, in Refugio County. Marker is on Commerce Street when traveling east. Click for map. In front of the courthouse entrance. Marker is at or near this postal address: 808 Commerce Street, Refugio TX 78377, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Colonel A. M. Hobby/Hobby's 8th Texas Infantry Regiment, C.S.A. (here, next to this marker); Refugio County (here, next to this marker); Empresario James Power (here, next to this marker); Sally Scull (here, next to this marker); Dennis M. O'Connor Public Library (within shouting distance of this marker); Amon B. King (within shouting distance of this marker); Irish Immigrants in Refugio (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of Mission Nuestra Seņora del Refugio (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Refugio.
Categories. Government
Refugio County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Steve Gustafson, June 11, 2010
3. Refugio County Courthouse
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 390 times since then and 53 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement