Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Hampton, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Courthouse

 
 
The Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, July 31, 2010
1. The Courthouse Marker
Inscription. The first Courthouse served Elizabeth City County (one of eight counties established in 1634) and Hampton, the county set. It was probably near the second church site of Elizabeth City Parish now the property of Hampton University. Court buildings have stood on or near this present site since 1715 when the first building of record was erected on property donated by Captain William Boswell. During the Revolutionary War the Courthouse became quarters and hospital for Rochambeauís French troops. For the next century it also became a meeting place for Masons, Methodists and civic activities. It was burned during the War Between the States, razed and rebuilt in 1876 at the cost of $4,150.00. Some of the old bricks were used for the center portion. It was first remodeled in 1910 and has been enlarged several times in order to serve the needs of a growing city.

Given by the City of Hampton in cooperation with the Womanís Club of Hampton, Virginia
 
Erected 1985 by City of Hampton, Womanís Club of Hampton.
 
Location. 37° 1.603′ N, 76° 20.681′ W. Marker is in Hampton, Virginia. Marker is on Kings Way 0.1 miles south of Lincoln Street, on the right. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 Kings Way, Hampton VA 23669, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers.
Hampton Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, July 31, 2010
2. Hampton Courthouse
At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hampton Courthouse (a few steps from this marker); Hampton Baptist Church (within shouting distance of this marker); The Northeast Corner (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Sclater Building (about 400 feet away); McDowell's Inn (about 500 feet away); Historic Hampton (about 600 feet away); The Magnolia Tree Inn (about 600 feet away); Elizabeth City Parish (about 600 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Hampton.
 
Categories. Notable BuildingsWar, US CivilWar, US Revolutionary
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 591 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement