Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Tampa in Hillsborough County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Federal Building

U.S. Courthouse

 

—Downtown Postal Station, Tampa, Florida —

 
Federal Building NRHP Plaque image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, July 30, 2010
1. Federal Building NRHP Plaque
Inscription.
Entered on the National Register of Historic Places
June 7, 1974

Federal Building
U.S. Courthouse
Downtown Postal Station
Tampa, Florida


James Knox Taylor
Architect      1902

This property significantly contributes to the
nation's cultural heritage
Commemorated June 1976

Gerald R. Ford, President of The United States
Jack Eckerd, Administrator of General Services

 
Erected 1976. (Marker Number 74000633.)
 
Location. 27° 56.992′ N, 82° 27.457′ W. Marker is in Tampa, Florida, in Hillsborough County. Marker is at the intersection of North Florida Avenue and East Twiggs Street, on the right when traveling north on North Florida Avenue. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 601 North Florida Avenue, Tampa FL 33602, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sacred Heart Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Teco Energy's Tampa Electric Company (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Tampa Theatre (about 500 feet away); First Lt. Baldomero Lopez
Federal Building NRHP Plaque image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, July 30, 2010
2. Federal Building NRHP Plaque
(about 500 feet away); St. Andrew's Episcopal Church (about 500 feet away); Courthouse Square (about 600 feet away); Hillsborough Lodge (about 800 feet away); Operation Iraqi Freedom Memorial II (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Tampa.
 
More about this marker. The NRHP plaque is mounted on the base of the lamp-post to the right side of the building's front steps.
 
Regarding Federal Building. Construction was completed on the building in 1905, with subsequent additions in later years. The four-story building features Classical Revival elements, including Corinthian columns at the front portico. The oldest significant building in Tampa originally designed for government use, it first served as a post office, then as a U.S. courthouse. When the Sam Gibbons Federal Court Building was completed in 1997, the old Federal Building was sold to the City of Tampa for $1. Since that time, several ideas for the building's use have been proposed, including homeless shelter, museum, and school. Due to a lack of funding to implement such proposals, the building has remained vacant.
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
The Old Federal Courthouse Building image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, July 31, 2010
3. The Old Federal Courthouse Building
Old Federal Courthouse Building image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, July 31, 2010
4. Old Federal Courthouse Building
United States Court House Sign image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, July 30, 2010
5. United States Court House Sign
On the lawn near the building's northwest corner
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. This page has been viewed 894 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida.   5. submitted on , by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement