“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Owings in Calvert County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)

Calvert County

Calvert County Marker image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, November 6, 2007
1. Calvert County Marker
Inscription. Established as Patuxent County in 1654, it was given Lord Baltimore’s family name in 1658. Now the state's smallest county, it once encompassed most of Prince George’s County and parts of Anne Arundel and St. Mary’s counties. A narrow peninsula with the “Cliffs of Calvert” on the Chesapeake Bay side, the county slopes gently to the Patuxent River on the west. At the southern tip is the deep-water port of Solomons. Although Capt. John Smith explored the area in 1608, the county’s first permanent settlement was on St. Leonard's Creek c. 1640.
Erected by Calvert County Historical Society, Board of County Commissioners, Maryland Historical Society.
Location. 38° 41.47′ N, 76° 38.417′ W. Marker is in Owings, Maryland, in Calvert County. Marker is at the intersection of Southern Maryland Boulevard (Maryland Route 4) and Chaneyville Road, on the right when traveling south on Southern Maryland Boulevard. Click for map. The marker is about 200 feet north of Chaneyville Road in the parking lot of the Visitor Center. Marker is in this post office area: Owings MD 20736, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A County in Ruin (within shouting distance of this marker); Smithville United Methodist Church (approx. 2.4 miles away); Harriet Elizabeth Brown (approx. 2.7 miles away); The First All Saints Church (approx. 2.7 miles away); All Saints Episcopal Church (approx. 2.7 miles away); Lower Marlboro Town (approx. 3.3 miles away); Lower Marlboro (approx. 3.4 miles away but has been reported missing); Town Ravaged (approx. 3.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Owings.
More about this marker. There is an identical marker at Visitor Center at the southern end of the county in Solomons at the intersection of Solomons Island Road and Lore Road.
Categories. Colonial EraSettlements & Settlers
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,058 times since then and 75 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on , by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement