Huttonsville in Randolph County, West Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Army Headquarters 1861 / Huttonsville
Army Headquarters 1861
This village was held by Colonel George Porterfield until he was relieved of command by General Robert Garnett, (C.S.A.). In 1861, it became the headquarters of Generals George McClellan and J. J. Reynolds of the Union Army.
Named for Jonathan Hutton, its first postmaster, in 1813. Students from the local academy joined the Confederate Army, 1861. The first military telegraph to advance with an army in America came here, July, 1861.
Erected 2008 by West Virginia Department Archives & History.
Location. 38° 42.648′ N, 79° 58.802′ W. Marker is in Huttonsville, West Virginia, in Randolph County. Marker is at the intersection of Seneca Trail (U.S. 219) and Staunton-Parkersburg Turnpike (U.S. 250) on Seneca Trail. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Huttonsville WV 26273, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Huttonsville (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Huttonsville (a few steps from this marker); Bishop Asbury (approx. half a mile away); Old Brick Church (approx. one mile away); Elkwater / Col. J. A. Washington (approx. 6.2 miles away); Camp Elkwater (approx. 6.2 miles away); U.S. Homestead (approx. 7.6 miles away); Behind the Parapet (approx. 8.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Huttonsville.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 683 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.