Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Strasburg in Shenandoah County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Field Fortifications

 
 
Field Fortifications Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, September 29, 2007
1. Field Fortifications Marker
Inscription. Those earthworks were built in October 1864 by the 2nd Division, VIth U.S. Corps under the supervision of its adjutant general, Capt. Hazard Stevens. The crescent shaped positions, called "lunettes" because of their resemblance to a new moon, were built to protect an artillery piece and its crew. The three guns placed here composed half a battery and were designated a "section." An infantry trench line extended eastward.

The devastating effect of Civil War weapons made the use of field fortifications routine by 1864. They provided protection to defenders while increasing problems for the attacker. Construction was conducted within procedures developed at West Point prior to the war and was fully standard on both sides.
 
Location. 39° 0.231′ N, 78° 21.276′ W. Marker is near Strasburg, Virginia, in Shenandoah County. Marker can be reached from Valley Pike (U.S. 11), on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Located just off the parking lot for the Stonewall Jackson Headquarters Museum / Crystal Caverns. Marker is at or near this postal address: 33229 Old Valley Pike, Strasburg VA 22657, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hupp’s Hill (within shouting distance of this marker); a different
Close Up View of the Map image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, September 29, 2007
2. Close Up View of the Map
marker also named Hupp's Hill (approx. half a mile away); Trenches On Hupp’s Hill (approx. half a mile away); Frontier Fort (approx. 0.6 miles away); a different marker also named Frontier Fort (approx. 0.6 miles away); Banks’ Fort (approx. 0.8 miles away); Saint Paul’s Lutheran Church (approx. one mile away); Stonewall’s Surprise (approx. one mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Strasburg.
 
More about this marker. The marker displays a drawing of a Civil War cannon and a topographical map of the positioned described.
 
Also see . . .  Battle of Cedar Creek Staff Ride. The Museum is tour stop one on the Center of Military History staff ride of the Battle of Cedar Creek. (Submitted on November 10, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
Marker along the Walking Trail image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, September 29, 2007
3. Marker along the Walking Trail
A short walking trail from the parking lot loops through several earthwork structures.
One of the Artillery Positions on the Hill image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, September 29, 2007
4. One of the Artillery Positions on the Hill
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,208 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement