Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Stratford in Westmoreland County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Stratford Mill

 
 
The Stratford Mill Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul Jordan, August 2, 2010
1. The Stratford Mill Marker
Inscription. When Thomas Lee Purchased this one-acre mill site in 1743, nothing remained but the “old mill dam.” By 1745, he had built a mill which operated-off and on-until the Lees sold Stratford in the 1820s. The names of Stratford’s millers remain a mystery, with one exception: a 1782 inventory listed James, an enslaved African American, as miller. In the 1860s, Elizabeth Storke, Stratford’s owner, leased the site to Muse and Jenkins, local entrepreneurs who built a one-story mill which operated until the early 1900s.

When the Robert E. Lee Memorial Foundation purchased Stratford in 1929, the mill walls had collapsed, the wheel had fallen into the tail race, and the pond was full of trees. In 1936 the Civilian Conservation Corps (C.C.C.) stationed at Westmoreland State Park cleared the mill road and pond site. Senator and Mrs. Jesse Metcalf of Rhode Island largely financed the rebuilding of the structure based on drawings by architect Fiske Kimball. James Ford Bell, President of General Mills, commissioned milling engineers B.W. Dedrick and Alden Ackles to locate suitable old wooden machinery which millwright John Fitz, of the Fitz Water Wheel Company, installed as a gift from General Mills. Stratford opened the gristmill to the public in October 1939, and it is still regarded as one of the best operating mill reconstructions
The Stratford Mill image. Click for full size.
By Paul Jordan, August 2, 2010
2. The Stratford Mill
in the United States.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Civilian Conservation Corps marker series.
 
Location. 38° 9.752′ N, 76° 49.905′ W. Marker is in Stratford, Virginia, in Westmoreland County. Marker can be reached from Great House Road. Click for map. The marker is on the grounds of Stratford Hall Plantation, the birthplace of Robert E. Lee. The historic site is on Stratford Hall Road (VA Highway 214), on the left when traveling east. The site is open to the public, for a fee. Marker is in this post office area: Stratford VA 22558, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Controlling the Water Supply to the Mill (within shouting distance of this marker); Stratford Landing: Significant Events (within shouting distance of this marker); The Landing: Gateway to the World (within shouting distance of this marker); The Stratford Cliffs (approx. ¼ mile away); Clifts Plantation Site (approx. 0.4 miles away); Clifts Plantation Burial Ground (approx. 0.4 miles away); Slave Cemetery (approx. 0.8 miles away); Oval Site (approx. one mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Stratford.
 
Also see . . .  Stratford Hall Historic Site. (Submitted on August 15, 2010, by Paul Jordan of Burlington, N. C., U. S. A..)
The Stratford Mill image. Click for full size.
By Paul Jordan, August 2, 2010
3. The Stratford Mill

 
Categories. AgricultureColonial EraIndustry & Commerce
 
The Stratford Mill image. Click for full size.
By Paul Jordan, August 2, 2010
4. The Stratford Mill
Two Markers on Stratford Mill image. Click for full size.
By Paul Jordan, August 2, 2010
5. Two Markers on Stratford Mill
Milling Machinery donated and installed by General Mills, Incorporated of Minnesota 1929

Dam and Mill Pond and Buildings restored by
Hon. Jesse M. Metcalf and Mrs. Metcalf of Rhode Island 1936-1939
Two Small Markers by the Door on Stratford Mill image. Click for full size.
By Paul Jordan, August 2, 2010
6. Two Small Markers by the Door on Stratford Mill
Stratford Hall image. Click for full size.
By Paul Jordan, August 2, 2010
7. Stratford Hall
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Paul Jordan of Burlington, N. C., U. S. A.. This page has been viewed 447 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on , by Paul Jordan of Burlington, N. C., U. S. A.. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement