Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Mount Carroll in Carroll County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Shimer College

 
 
Shimer College Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 10, 2010
1. Shimer College Marker
Inscription. Mount Carroll Seminary was founded as a coeducational institution in 1853 by Frances Ann Wood (later Mrs. Shimer). After the Civil War, enrollment was limited to women. Rechartered in 1896 as the Frances Shimer Academy of the University of Chicago, the school pioneered a junior college program. It became coeducation again in 1950 and adopted a four-year program in liberal education in 1958. In that year the Chicago affiliation was dissolved and the present name became official.
 
Erected 1968 by The Mount Carroll Community Club, Carroll County Historical Society, and the Illinois State Historical Society.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Illinois State Historical Society marker series.
 
Location. 42° 5.476′ N, 89° 58.626′ W. Marker is in Mount Carroll, Illinois, in Carroll County. Marker is on Unnamed campus entrance road 0 miles east of South Clay Street (Illinois Route 78), on the right when traveling east. Click for map. There is a state directional sign on South Clay Street pointing to the marker. Marker is in this post office area: Mount Carroll IL 61053, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lewistown Trail (approx.
Shimer College Marker image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, May 21, 2011
2. Shimer College Marker
3.4 miles away); Plum River Falls (approx. 7.5 miles away); Savanna Community Veterans Memorial (approx. 7.9 miles away); Savanna Public Library (approx. 9.1 miles away); Savanna Community World War II Honor Roll (approx. 9.1 miles away); Helen Scott Hay (approx. 9.1 miles away); Grand Army of the Republic Presentation (approx. 9.1 miles away); Pierce Wigwam (approx. 9.3 miles away).
 
Also see . . .
1. Shimer College - Wikipedia. Shimer College has an elaborate history, much of it subsequent to the erection of the marker. (Submitted on August 19, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.) 

2. Campbell Center website. In 1979 the Campbell Center for Historic Preservation Studies purchased the campus after Shimer College moved to Waukegan, Ill. The Campbell Center still uses the campus for its programs (Submitted on August 19, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.) 
 
Categories. Education
 
Shimer College Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 10, 2010
3. Shimer College Marker
Shimer College Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 10, 2010
4. Shimer College Marker
The Administration Building and main Dining Hall is in the background.
The Administration Building and Dining Hall image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 10, 2010
5. The Administration Building and Dining Hall
The Administration Building and Dining Hall (on the right) image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 10, 2010
6. The Administration Building and Dining Hall (on the right)
The smaller building on the left was the Infirmary.
The Library image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 10, 2010
7. The Library
The Administration Building and Dining Hall image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 10, 2010
8. The Administration Building and Dining Hall
Viewed from the Quad. The Library is to the right.
Classroom Building image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 10, 2010
9. Classroom Building
Classroom Buildings facing the Quad image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 10, 2010
10. Classroom Buildings facing the Quad
The Music Building image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 10, 2010
11. The Music Building
The Music Building image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 10, 2010
12. The Music Building
The Gymnasium image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 10, 2010
13. The Gymnasium
The Gymnasium Entrance image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 10, 2010
14. The Gymnasium Entrance
Sawyer House image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 10, 2010
15. Sawyer House
This was the President's residence.
Metcalf Hall image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 10, 2010
16. Metcalf Hall
Built in 1908, Metcalf Hall contains an auditorium used for recitals and plays.
The Campbell Center for Historic Preservation Studies image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, May 21, 2011
17. The Campbell Center for Historic Preservation Studies
The Campbell Center purchased the Shimer College campus in 1979, when the College, which had occupied the location since 1854, relocated to Waukegan, Illinois.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 845 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   2. submitted on , by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.   3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   17. submitted on , by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement