Inscription. (Lower Plaque)
By Mike Stroud, May 23, 2010
|1. Ripley - Shepherd Building Marker|
Built by Col. Valentine Ripley, early
businessman, this is one of the first
brick structures in Hendersonville.
Early uses were a general store,
post office and Confederate
commissary under Major Noe.
M.M. Shepherd and F.G. Hart
purchased it in 1896 for a furniture
and undertaking business. Still
proudly owned by the decendents
of M.M. Shepherd.
This Property Has Been Placed On The
National Register of Historic Places
By the United States Department of the Interior
Erected by Hendersonville Historic Preservation Commission.
Location. 35° 18.918′ N, 82° 27.584′ W. Marker is in Hendersonville, North Carolina, in Henderson County. Marker is on North Main Street, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Located between 2nd and 3rd Streets East. Marker is at or near this postal address: 218, Hendersonville NC 28792, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Dotson Store Building (here, next to this marker); 226-232 N. Main (within shouting distance of this marker); 219 - 221 N. Main (within shouting distance of this marker); 215 N. Main (within shouting distance of this marker); 202 - 206 N. Main (within shouting distance of this marker); Nuckolls Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Revolutionary Soldiers (within shouting distance of this marker); 300 N. Main (within shouting distance of this marker). Click for a list of all markers in Hendersonville.
By Mike Stroud, May 23, 2010
|2. Ripley - Shepherd Building with Marker at 218 North Main Street|
Regarding Ripley - Shepherd Building. The Ripley family enjoyed early prominence in Hendersonville, especially the colonel himself. According to Lila Ripley Barnwell ( the daughter of Col. Valentine Ripley ) in an article that appeared in the Times News on August 29, 1938, "Colonel Valentine Ripley, a native of Rockbridge County, Virginia, came to this section in the (eighteen) thirties,
settling first in Asheville, where he married Miss Ruth Smith, daughter of James Smith, who was the first white child born west of the Blue Ridge in North Carolina. Shortly afterward Henderson County was cut off from Buncombe, and because of interest in the mail route, Colonel Ripley came here to live. He had large land interests, owning thousands of acres in the county. No citizen was ever more interested in the progress and development of this section. After the War Between the States, Colonel Ripley formed a partnership with Captain M.C. Toms in the mercantile business. He was too much a lover of the out of doors and fine horses to like the confinement of that life, and while he carefully attended to the business the practical management was left largely in the capable hands of Captain Toms. One of the greatest ambitions of his life was a railroad for Hendersonville and for years he spent time and money for this accomplishment, living to see his dream realized about four months before his death in 1879."
(Hendersonville Historic Preservation Commission)
Credits. This page originally submitted on August 18, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 512 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 18, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |