Waukesha in Waukesha County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Carroll College opened on September 8, 1846 with an enrollment of five men and a faculty of two. Of the latter, Professor Eleazur Root subsequently became Wisconsinís first Superintendent of Public Instruction, and Professor John W. Sterling served as Vice President of the University of Wisconsin from 1869 to 1885. The college became affiliated with the Presbyterian Church in 1852. On land donated by Morris D. Cutler and Charles R. Dakin, both of Waukesha, a two-story stone college building was erected in 1853.
Under presidents John Adams Savage (1850-1863) and Walter Lowry Rankin (1866-1871, 1893-1903) the college grew and became firmly established as Wisconsinís Pioneer College.
Erected 1972 by the State Historical Society of Wisconsin. (Marker Number 185.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Wisconsin Historical Society marker series.
Location. 43° 0.191′ N, 88° 13.617′ Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 N East Ave, Waukesha WI 53186, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Milwaukee and Madison Railway Depot (approx. 0.3 miles away); Club 400 (approx. 0.3 miles away); Old Cutler Home (approx. 0.4 miles away); Lindholm Vocational & Adult School (approx. 0.4 miles away); American Legion Home (approx. half a mile away); Silurian Spring (approx. half a mile away); Les Paul (approx. half a mile away); Prehistoric Indian Mound (approx. half a mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Waukesha.
Also see . . . Carroll College History - Carroll University website. (Submitted on August 19, 2010, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin.)
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 732 times since then and 81 times this year. Last updated on , by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.