Strasburg in Shenandoah County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
At one time, Town Run was divided: one branch ran through Jeremiah Keister's garden (the present carwash), continued under a house at King Street and under the street providing water to operate Funk's Tannery (where Town Hall is located) and Obed Chandler's tannery on block beyond. The second branch is the straight canal you see today. The streams rejoined at Queen Street and continued to wind to the Shenandoah River.
About 1742, Samuel Funk built a grist mill near the confluence of Town Run and the river. Strasburg was not officially established and the area was commonly referred to as "Funk's Mill settlement at the Shenandoah." In describing the vast region, early trappers and hunters called it "the valley of the senedoes." The ancient Senedo tribe was gone long before the first whites explored the valley, but it is thought that the melodic name "Shenandoah," meaning "Clear-eyed Daughter of the Stars," is derived from Senedo.
The log house behind you was built in 1777. The land was sold by Peter
Brother Sirone, a Sabbatarian monk and master craftsman, arrived in Strasburg with a potter's wheel in 1761. That same year Strasburg was established by the Virginia House of Burgess in an act introduced by Representative George Washington. The pottery industry was very important to Strasburg. Four potteries were located across the street:
-Jeremiah Keister, 1880
-William H. Lehew, 1890
-George Miller, 1890-1899
-Luther D. Funkhouser, 1899-1905
Bishop Francis Asbury's "Journal" records his presence in the Shenandoah Valley between 1794 and 1806. His work is thought to be the beginning of Methodism here. In 1835 trustees of a small Methodist congregation paid Adam Keister $55 for a lot at the northwest corner of Holliday and Washington Streets. Their plan to build the Strasburg United Methodist Church finally came to life in 1876 when a frame structure was completed. The present Gothic Revival church replaced the original
As yo uwalk to Stop #5 at Fort Street, notice the lovely examples of Folk Victorian style homes that date from the late 19th and very early 20th Centuries.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Sons of Confederate Veterans/United Confederate Veterans marker series.
Location. 38° 59.401′ N, 78° 21.622′ W. Marker is in Strasburg, Virginia, in Shenandoah County. Marker is at the intersection of West Washington Street and North Water Street, on the right when traveling east on West Washington Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Strasburg VA 22657, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Stonewall’s Surprise (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); This Fertile Land (about 400 feet away); Saint Paul’s Lutheran Church (about 700 feet away); a different marker also named Historic Strasburg (about 700 feet away); a different marker also named Historic Strasburg (approx. 0.2 miles away); Banks’ Fort (approx. ¼ mile away); a different marker also named Historic Strasburg (approx. ¼ mile away); Signal Knob (approx. ¼ mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Strasburg.
More about this marker. On the upper left of the marker is a tour stop
Also see . . .
1. Brief History of Strasburg. (Submitted on November 11, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
2. Strasburg Historic District. (PDF) This application for National Register of Historic Places offers many details regarding the locations described on the marker. (Submitted on November 11, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
1. Samuel Funk Mill?
Jacob Funk and brother, John, settled the Strasburg, VA area. Jacob (b 1695) was the first to move from PA to VA in 1735. The 2030 acres he bought stretched from Tumbling Run northward, encompassing the present town of Strasburg. “Jacob probably had his home on what is now called Town Run. ... He, like his brother John, built a mill in the early 1740’s, which he refers to in his will.” – Daniel Bly. Their younger brother, Samuel, spent the years 1739-1750 in PA as a monk at the Ephrata Cloisters. Jacob’s son, Jacob, and John’s son, Henry, founded Funkstown MD.
— Submitted March 25, 2010, by Dennis Long of St Marys, Ohio.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,597 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 6, 7. submitted on , by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.