Inscription. 1885 Marcellus M. Davis established his shipyard at this location, in 1913 the yard was moved to larger quarters across the harbor on Mill Creek. During the 1930ís, Davisí yard produced many outstanding wooden yachts which brought international fame to Solomons. The High Tide won nearly every race she entered until she was handicapped so heavily her owner, Eugene DuPont, refused to race or sell her. The Davis-built Manitou (President Kennedyís yacht one summer) won several Mackinac Straits races until defeated by White Cloud, another Davis-built yacht.
By F. Robby, November 7, 2007
|1. M. M. Davis Shipyard Marker|
Erected by Board of County Commissioners, Calvert County Historical Society, Maryland Historical Society.
Location. 38° 19.345′ N, 76° 27.58′ W. Marker is in Solomons, Maryland, in Calvert County. Marker is on Solomons Island Road (Maryland Route 2) 0.7 miles south of Lore Road, on the left when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Solomons MD 20688, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. J. C. Lore & Sons Oyster House (about 700 feet away, in a direct line); Solomon's Island (approx. 0.4 miles away); Chesapeake Biological Laboratory (approx. half a mile away); Drum Point Lighthouse (approx. 0.6 miles away); Wm. B. Tennison (approx. 0.6 miles away); a different marker also named Drum Point Lighthouse (approx. 0.6 miles away); Marine Railway Gears (approx. 0.7 miles away); Calvert County (approx. 0.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Solomons.
Credits. This page originally submitted on November 11, 2007, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,009 times since then. Photo 1. submitted on November 11, 2007, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |