HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Kingwood in Preston County, West Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Preston County Courthouse
Frontiers to Mountaineers Heritage Tourism
 
Preston County Courthouse Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Craig Swain, July 24, 2010
1. Preston County Courthouse Marker
 
Inscription. First settled in 1807, Kingwood was named for the grove of trees located where the courthouse now stands. On January 19, 1818, the Commonwealth of Virginia created Preston as its 35th county. Kingwood from its beginning has served as the territorial and county seat. In 1861, when Virginia voted to secede from the Union, Prestonians indicated in a resolution, read at the courthouse by William G. Brown and James C. McGrew their desire to become a separate state and remain in the Union. West Virginia became a state on June 20, 1863. Preston County led the entire United States in Union patriotism by volunteering the largest percentage of its population to government service during the Civil War. Built in 1930, the current Art Deco style building was constructed of pink sandstone. On the courthouse lawn is a cannon last fired in April 1861 in defense of Fort Sumter. The Preston County Jail, built in 1925, sits just west of the courthouse.
 
Erected by Preservation Alliance of West Virginia and the Benedum Foundation.
 
Location. 39° 28.314′ N, 79° 41.25′ W. Marker is in Kingwood, West Virginia, in Preston County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (State Highway 7) and Price Street, on the right when traveling
 
Preston County Courthouse Photo, Click for full size
By Craig Swain, July 24, 2010
2. Preston County Courthouse
The marker is at the edge of this photo, to the left.
 
east on Main Street. Click for map. Located on the grounds of the Preston County Courthouse. Marker is in this post office area: Kingwood WV 26537, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Price's Tavern (a few steps from this marker); Kingwood (within shouting distance of this marker); “The Pines” (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Dunkard Bottom (approx. 2.2 miles away); Albright (approx. 2.8 miles away); Old Iron Furnace (approx. 4.9 miles away); Cow Run Sand (approx. 4.9 miles away); Imagining an Iron Furnace in Operation (approx. 4.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Kingwood.
 
42-pdr Banded Seacoast Gun Photo, Click for full size
By Craig Swain, July 24, 2010
3. 42-pdr Banded Seacoast Gun
This 42-pdr gun, cast by Tredegar Foundry, Richmond Virginia, stands on the Courthouse yard. While the marker indicates it was present at Fort Sumter, the band on the back was added during the war by a company in Charleston, South Carolina.
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on August 20, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 590 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 20, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.
 
Recommend or Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 426 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.