Independence in Jackson County, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Built about 1867 by George Porterfield Gates, a mill owner. President Harry S. Truman and his wife, Bess Wallace Truman, granddaughter of Gates, made this their home from the time of their marriage in 1919. The "Summer White House" from 1945 to 1953.
Erected 1976 by American Revolution Bicentennial Commission of Independence.
Location. 39° 5.633′ N, 94° 25.418′ W. Marker is in Independence, Missouri, in Jackson County. Marker is at the intersection of Delaware Street and Truman Road (Missouri Route 12), on the right when traveling north on Delaware Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 219 Delaware Street, Independence MO 64050, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Joseph T. Noland House (within shouting distance of this marker); Gingko Tree (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Baptist Church (about 700 feet away); First Presbyterian Church (about 700 feet away); a different marker also named First Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Independence Veterans Memorial First United Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Fireproof Building in Independence (approx. ¼ mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Independence.
Also see . . .
1. Harry S. Truman National Historic Site. (Submitted on August 22, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
2. Truman Library and Museum. (Submitted on August 22, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
3. Harry S. Truman. (Submitted on August 22, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Industry & Commerce • Patriots & Patriotism • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page has been viewed 850 times since then and 85 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.