Independence in Jackson County, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
First United Methodist Church
The earliest Society of Methodists in the county was founded in Independence in 1835 with 10 charter members. Methodists have worshipped on this corner since 1840. The present Gothic style church, completed in 1859, was refaced and added to in 1929 and 1976.
Erected 1976 by American Revolution Bicentennial Commission of Independence.
Location. 39° 5.58′ N, 94° 25.219′ W. Marker is in Independence, Missouri, in Jackson County. Marker is on Maple Avenue near North Spring Street, on the left when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 400 West Maple Avenue, Independence MO 64050, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Independence Veterans Memorial (a few steps from this marker); First Presbyterian Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named First Presbyterian Church (about 300 feet away); First Fireproof Building in Independence (about 400 feet away); First Baptist Church (about 500 feet away); Gingko Tree (about 800 feet away); General Andrew Jackson (approx. 0.2 miles away); Truman House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Independence.
Also see . . . First United Methodist Church. (Submitted on August 22, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Man-Made Features • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page has been viewed 519 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.