Milwaukee in Milwaukee County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
North Point Lighthouse
The first lantern burned mineral oil. A new lens, installed in 1868, is still in use. The present light source is a 25,000 candlepower lamp rotated electrically and controlled by an automatic clock. The lens focuses a 1,300,000 candlepower signal visible for 25 miles.
Erected 1975 by United States Coast Guard and Milwaukee County Historical Society. (Marker Number 214.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Wisconsin Historical Society marker series.
Location. This marker has been replaced by another marker nearby. It was located near 43° 3.929′ N, 87° 52.257′ W. Marker was in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, in Milwaukee County. Marker could be reached from North Lake Drive ¼ mile south of Kenwood Boulevard. Click for map. The Marker is
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. North Point Light Station (a few steps from this marker); Prehistoric Burial Mound (approx. 0.4 miles away); Saint Mary's School of Nursing (approx. half a mile away); Saint John's Infirmary (approx. 0.6 miles away); Old North Point Water Tower (approx. 0.6 miles away); Lake Park (approx. 0.6 miles away); Villa Terrace (approx. ¾ mile away); The University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee (approx. 0.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Milwaukee.
More about this marker. This marker was replaced by a new one named North Point Light Station (see nearby markers).
Categories. • Man-Made Features • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 571 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.