Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Pearisburg in Giles County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Pearisburg

 
 
Pearisburg Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul Crumlish, August 21, 2010
1. Pearisburg Marker
Inscription. The town was laid off in 1806 when Giles County was formed, and named for Captain George Pearis, early settler. Established in 1808, it was first incorporated in 1835, and reincorporated in 1914. Here, in May 1862, Union troops under Colonel Rutherford B. Hayes were defeated by Confederates under General Henry Heth. The present courthouse was erected in 1836.
 
Erected 1941 by Virginia Conservation Commission. (Marker Number KG-21.)
 
Location. 37° 19.605′ N, 80° 44.111′ W. Marker is in Pearisburg, Virginia, in Giles County. Marker is at the intersection of North Main Street (Business U.S. 460) and Wenonah Avenue (Business U.S. 460), on the right when traveling north on North Main Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 501 Wenonah Avenue, Pearisburg VA 24134, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Court of Giles County (approx. 1.3 miles away); Snidow's Ferry (approx. 3.3 miles away); Narrows (approx. 4.2 miles away); New River (approx. 5.5 miles away); Camp John J. Pershing
Wide view of the Pearisburg Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul Crumlish, August 21, 2010
2. Wide view of the Pearisburg Marker
Located on the lawn of the Giles County Courthouse in downtown Pearisburg.
(approx. 5.6 miles away); Home of the Jones Diamond (approx. 5.9 miles away in West Virginia); Peterstown (approx. 6 miles away in West Virginia); Giles County / West Virginia (approx. 6.1 miles away).
 
Also see . . .
1. Welcome to Pearisburg - History of Pearisburg. (Submitted on August 24, 2010, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.)
2. Giles County, Virginia - Pearisburg. (Submitted on August 24, 2010, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.)
 
Categories. Settlements & SettlersWar, US Civil
 
Andrew Johnston House (1829) image. Click for full size.
By Paul Crumlish, August 21, 2010
3. Andrew Johnston House (1829)
The oldest brick building in Giles County, it was occupied by Union forces during the Civil War. It served as the headquarters for future Presidents Rutherford B. Hayes, William McKinley and James Garfield in 1862.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. This page has been viewed 766 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photos of current courthouse (ca. 1836) • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement