Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
New Haven in New Haven County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
 

New Haven Common Burial Ground

 
 
New Haven Common Burial Ground Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, August 18, 2010
1. New Haven Common Burial Ground Marker
Inscription.
From the settlement of New Haven
1638 to 1796
the adjoining ground was occupied
as a common place of burial.
Then a new burying ground was opened
and divided into family lots
and city squares.
In 1813 this church was placed
over the monuments of several
whose names are engraved on tablets
in the vestibule.
In 1821 the remainig monuments
were by consent of survivors,
and under direction of the city,
removed to the new ground.
In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye,
At the last trump, the dead shall be raised.

 
Location. 41° 18.477′ N, 72° 55.606′ W. Marker is in New Haven, Connecticut, in New Haven County. Marker can be reached from Temple Street 0.1 miles south of Elm Street, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Located on the rear wall of the Center Church On The Green. Marker is at or near this postal address: 311 Temple Street, New Haven CT 06511, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Theophilus Eaton (here, next to this marker); Stephen Goodyear (here, next to this marker); Col Edward Whalley (a few steps from this marker); Col William Goffe
New Haven Common Burial Ground Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, August 18, 2010
2. New Haven Common Burial Ground Marker
(a few steps from this marker); First Meeting House (within shouting distance of this marker); Quinnipiack (within shouting distance of this marker); New Haven Memorial Flagpole (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Renovation of the New Haven Green (about 500 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in New Haven.
 
Regarding New Haven Common Burial Ground. Perhaps the most interesting aspect of the Center Church is "The Crypt, " an ancient cemetery with gravestones from 1687 to 1812, under the church. In 1813, Center Church was built over a small portion of the town's burial ground. All the remains and gravestones were left in their original positions to be protected by the church's foundation where a crypt was created. The Crypt contains the identified remains of about 137 people, and the likely remains of over 1,000 that are unidentified. Guided tours are available.
 
Also see . . .  The Crypt at the First Church of Christ in New Haven, Center Church on-the-Green. (Submitted on August 24, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches, Etc.Colonial Era
 
The back of the Center Church On The Green image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, August 18, 2010
3. The back of the Center Church On The Green
The New Haven Common Burial Ground marker is under the large center window.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 914 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement