“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Deadwood in Lawrence County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)

Second Deadwood Gold Discovery

Second Deadwood Gold Discovery Marker image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, August 10, 2010
1. Second Deadwood Gold Discovery Marker
Inscription. Near this point in 1875 occurred the second of two initial gold discoveries in the Deadwood area. It was made by the Lardner party of eight prospectors, steered here by John B. Pearson, a man already familiar with Deadwood Gulch. Their "Discovery Claim" was staked near this spot on November 9. The narrow gulch from here to Deadwood proved fabulously rich in placer gold -- by far the richest in the Black Hills.

Pearson had been prospecting two miles downstream in August with the Frank Bryant party. Bryant and two others returned in November to their August find, and located their "Discovery Claim" on November 8, just one day before Pearson and Lardner. Neither party knew the other was nearby -- the gulch between was so completely choked with dead wood.

By January 1, 1876, fifty miners were working Deadwood Gulch with an average take of $10.00 per day, and by January 5 the entire gulch was occupied by mining claims.

The Deadwood gold rush began in 1875 but residents celebrate the Days of '76 because the city of Deadwood was laid out on April 28, 1876, and because the great rush of miners into Deadwood came in the spring of 1876. By August 1876 combined digging and building had produced a city resembling a "heap of lemon boxes propped up on broomsticks." In the century since 1876, the Lead-Deadwood mining
Second Deadwood Gold Discovery Marker image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, August 10, 2010
2. Second Deadwood Gold Discovery Marker
district has produced gold estimated at over $800,000,000.
Erected 1976 by Lawrence County Historical Society, the South Dakota Department of Transporation and the South Dakota State Historical Society.
Location. 44° 22.189′ N, 103° 45.483′ W. Marker is near Deadwood, South Dakota, in Lawrence County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 14 and Blacktail Road, on the right when traveling west on U.S. 14. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Deadwood SD 57732, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Open Cut (approx. 1.2 miles away); Homestake Open Cut Mine (approx. 1.2 miles away); The Homestake Gold Mine and Open Cut (approx. 1.3 miles away); Deadwood Changing -- 1884 1902 and Now (approx. 1.4 miles away); Serving the Black Hills (approx. 1.4 miles away); Bonanza in the Hills (approx. 1.4 miles away); Generations of Change (approx. 1.4 miles away); Ride High, T.C., Ride High (approx. 1.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Deadwood.
Categories. Industry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 819 times since then and 72 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement