Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Edenton in Chowan County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Edenton Bell Battery C.S.A.

 
 
Edenton Bell Battery C.S.A. Marker image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, August 12, 2010
1. Edenton Bell Battery C.S.A. Marker
Inscription. Organized in March 1862 under the leadership of Capt. William Badham Jr., Lt. John M. Jones, and Lt. Nelson McClees, the Edenton Bell Battery was composed of men primarily from Chowan, Tyrrell, and Washington Counties. Lacking adequate artillery, various institutions of Edenton donated their bells to be melted and cast into four bronze cannon at Tredegar Foundry in Richmond, Va., on April 28, 1862. The cannon were named the Edenton, the Columbia, the Fannie Roulhac, and the Saint Paul by the men of the Battery. Designated as Company B, Third Battalion, NC Light Artillery, the unit served with the Army of Northern Virginia at Winchester, Culpeper Courthouse, Seven Days Battle, and protected a critical bridge south of the Battle of Fredericksburg. The Battery was then transferred to North Carolina where it opposed Union advances towards the Wilmington and Weldon Railroad and fought at Whitehall Bridge, Goldsboro, and Kinston. The unit was later garrisoned at Fort Fear River. By January 1865, the Battery was evacuated to Fort Anderson after the fall of nearby Fort Fisher to the advancing Union Army. It then saw action around Wilmington and with the Army of Tennessee at Bentonville and Cox's Bridge.

The 12-pounder howitzer Saint Paul, foundry #1533, was captured at the Battle of town Creek in
Edenton Bell Battery C.S.A. Marker & Cannons image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, August 12, 2010
2. Edenton Bell Battery C.S.A. Marker & Cannons
Brunswick County, N.C., on February 20, 1865 and is on loan from the Old Fort Niagara Association of New York. The Saint Paul was poured primarily from the bell of St. Paul's Episcopal Church. The 6-pdr gun Edenton, foundry number #1531, was surrendered at Greensboro, N.C. on May 26, 1865 and is on loan from Shiloh National Military Park of the National Park Service. The Edenton was poured primarily from the bell of the 1767 Chowan County Courthouse. The Muzzles of each of the cannon indicated the foundry number and the distinctive "EB" for "Edenton Battery". The location of the two remaining cannon of the Edenton Bell Battery is unknown.
 
Erected 2001 by Edenton Historical Commission 2001 and 2006.
 
Location. 36° 3.347′ N, 76° 36.576′ W. Marker is in Edenton, North Carolina, in Chowan County. Marker is on South Broad Street, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Located on the waterfront at the end of Broad Street. Marker is in this post office area: Edenton NC 27932, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Edenton (a few steps from this marker); Escape Via Maritime Underground Railroad (within shouting distance of this marker); Our Confederate Dead
Edenton Bell Battery C.S.A. Marker, Barker House and Cannons image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, August 12, 2010
3. Edenton Bell Battery C.S.A. Marker, Barker House and Cannons
(about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Roanoke River Lighthouse (about 500 feet away); Bought in France for N.C. (about 500 feet away); Francis Corbin (approx. 0.3 miles away); Edenton Tea Party (approx. 0.3 miles away); James Iredell, Jr (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Edenton.
 
Also see . . .
1. Wikipedia Bell Battery. The Edenton Bell Battery, 3rd Battalion North Carolina Light Artillery Company B, were originally recruited in March 1862 as the Albemarle Artillery by Edenton lawyer William Badham, Jr., as most of the men were from North Carolina's Albemarle Sound area. Drilled as artillery at Richmond, Virginia in April and May, 1862, the unit found themselves in danger of being designated an infantry company, because of the scarcity of cannon available to outfit battery companies. A captain was dispatched back to Edenton for help. (Submitted on August 24, 2010, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa.) 

2. Ketcham's Alabama Battery at Shiloh. NOT related to the Edenton Battery. The gun numbered 1531 was originally on display next to the Ketcham's battery marker at Shiloh. A replica is there today. (Submitted on April 1, 2012, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. This page has been viewed 1,482 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement