Huntington in Angelina County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Huntington became a center for lumber shipping and the town soon prospered. A local telephone exchange was established in 1907. A newspaper, The Huntington Messenger, was succeeded by The Huntington Herald in 1911. Huntington also had hotels, drugstores, mercantile and grocery stores, a bank, several saloons, blacksmith shops and cotton gins. Several local physicians provided medical services. Highway 30
Erected 2000. (Marker Number 11713.)
Location. 31° 16.961′ N, 94° 34.458′ W. Marker is in Huntington, Texas, in Angelina County. Marker is on Main Street (Farm to Market Road 1669), on the left when traveling east. Click for map. In Centennial Park. Marker is in this post office area: Huntington TX 75949, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of the Town of Jonesville (approx. 1.9 miles away); Homer Cemetery (approx. 3.5 miles away); Site of the town of Homer (approx. 3.8 miles away); Lindsey Springs Logging Camp (approx. 7.9 miles away); Southland Paper Mills, Inc. (approx. 7.9 miles away); Ewing (approx. 8 miles away); Fairview School (approx. 8.5 miles away); Whitehouse Cemetery (approx. 8.6 miles away).
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,095 times since then and 71 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.