Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Independence in Jackson County, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

A Century of Progress

 
 
A Century of Progress Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., July 31, 2010
1. A Century of Progress Marker
Inscription.
A Century of Progress marks the development of Jackson County. In 1828 a log courthouse was built in Independence. In 1836 a brick building was erected as a permanent courthouse on this site. Soldiers returning from the Mexican War found an enlarged building erected in 1846. In 1872 changes were made and the clock placed in the tower. The edifice was enlarged in 1887, and in 1907 was remodeled.

Before this structure time has unfolded a panorama of historical significance. Indians have camped in its vicinity. Pioneers have left its doorway and set forth to conquer the perils of the Oregon, California, and Santa Fe Trails. Soldiers have marched from its protecting shadow to defend the cause of justice in every martial conflict.

The courthouse stands today in new dignity, ready to meet the challenge of another century with assurance born of its history of faithful service to a mighty people.

Dedicated September 7, 1933

——————————————

Members of Jackson County Court during building construction periods
———————
1828 Abraham McClellan Richard Fristoe Henry Burris
1836 Moses G. Wilson Lawrence Flournoy John Smith
1846
A Century of Progress Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., July 31, 2010
2. A Century of Progress Marker
Alvin Brooking Richard D. Stanley James Gray
1872 James B. Yeager Lucius Carey Joshua Petty
1887 John A. McDonald Hugh Lynch William G. Chiles
1907 J. M. Patterson Charles E. Moss George J. Dodd
1933 Harry S. Truman Eugene I. Purcell Battle McCardle W. O. Beeman
Fred A. Boxley County Counselor
———————
Architects
Keene & Simpson Fred Wallace

 
Erected 1933 by Jackson County Court.
 
Location. 39° 5.542′ N, 94° 24.987′ W. Marker is in Independence, Missouri, in Jackson County. Marker is on Lexington Avenue near Main Street, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marble marker panels flank the main (south) entrance to the former county courthouse. Marker is at or near this postal address: 112 West Lexington Avenue, Independence MO 64050, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Battle of Independence (a few steps from this marker); Our Jackson County Pioneers (within shouting distance of this marker); Historic Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Santa Fe Trail (within
A Century of Progress Markers image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., July 31, 2010
3. A Century of Progress Markers
shouting distance of this marker); Here the Oregon Trail Began (within shouting distance of this marker); General Andrew Jackson (within shouting distance of this marker); Harry S. Truman (within shouting distance of this marker); Jackson County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker). Click for a list of all markers in Independence.
 
Also see . . .  Jackson County, Missouri. (Submitted on August 26, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
Former Jackson County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., July 31, 2010
4. Former Jackson County Courthouse
A Century of Progress markers flank south entrance.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 609 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement