Tahoe City in Placer County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
The Gatekeeper’s Cabin and Museum
[First Marker – Located on the left:]
The North Lake Tahoe Historical Society (NLTHS) operates and maintains the Gatekeeper’s Museum, The Marion Steinback Indian Basket Museum, the Watson Cabin Living Museum (located above Commons Beach) and William B. Layton Park. The organization was founded by: Betty Layton, the manager of the North Lake Tahoe Chamber of Commerce; Gardner Mein, President of the Chamber of Commerce; David Stollery, an Historian and Author; and Judge C.W.Vernon.
Hoping to purchase the Gatekeeper’s Cabin and surrounding land, the Board of Directors of the NLTHS began negotiations with Sierra Pacific Power in 1969. California State Parks ultimately purchased the parcel in 1978. The NLTHS operates on State Parks land through a special contract.
On July 9, 1981, the Gatekeeper’s Museum opened to the public. The Museum features the history of Lake Tahoe and includes exhibits on the area that illustrate: Native Americans: local pioneers; natural history and the Ellen Attardi Library. The Edmund S. Barnett/Marion Steinbach Indian Basket Museum addition opened in 1995. This collection includes approximately 800 baskets from over 85 tribes and Native American tools, pottery and dolls.
[Second Marker – Located on the right:]
The first dam on Lake Tahoe,
The original cabin on this site was built for the gatekeeper and his family. Arthur Smith, the first Gatekeeper, and his wife Emma were the first to make this area their home. The cabin had the community’s only flush toilet and a telephone.
Emma died during the flu epidemic of 1918, and Arthur left. Leroy Paul, a University of Nevada Engineering School graduate served four years as the next gatekeeper. W.A. Simmonds and his wife Ida lived here for 24 years supplementing their income by renting out tent cabins on the property.
Art Frodenberg, Ida’s son by a former marriage, became the next Gatekeeper in 1949. Mr. Frodenberg served as Gatekeeper until 1960 when Daryl DeWalt, his son-in-law, became the Gatekeeper.
The newly appointed Federal Water master based in Reno, Nevada took over responsibility for operation of the dam in 1968. The Dewalts vacated the cabin and closed the small trailer park that they had operated on the property.
The original cabin was destroyed by arson fire and rebuilt on the original foundation
Erected by North Lake Tahoe Historical Society.
Location. 39° 9.997′ N, 120° 8.636′ W. Marker is in Tahoe City, California, in Placer County. Marker can be reached from West Lake Boulevard (State Highway 89) west of State Highway 28. Click for map. Marker is located near the Gatekeepers Cabin at William B. Layton Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 130 West Lake Boulevard, Tahoe City CA 96145, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A Safe Harbor (a few steps from this marker); The Sacred Lake (a few steps from this marker); William B. Layton Park (within shouting distance of this marker); Lake Tahoe Outlet Works and Gatekeepers Cabin (within shouting distance of this marker); Duane Leroy Bliss (within shouting distance of this marker); Tahoe City's Constables (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Watson Cabin (approx. 0.4 miles away); Early Tahoe City (approx. 0.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Tahoe City.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 809 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.