Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Greensboro in Guilford County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Delaware Monument

 
 
Delaware Monument Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 1, 2010
1. Delaware Monument Marker
Inscription.
Thursday
March 15, 1781

Three Continental Soldiers
Rest Here
In fame’s eternal camping ground

 
Erected 1892.
 
Location. 36° 8.046′ N, 79° 50.555′ W. Marker is in Greensboro, North Carolina, in Guilford County. Marker can be reached from Guilford Courthouse Tour Road, on the left when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is in Guilford Courthouse National Military Park, along the Historic New Garden Road walking trail. Marker is in this post office area: Greensboro NC 27410, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Delaware Continentals (a few steps from this marker); Maryland Monument (a few steps from this marker); Dr. David Caldwell (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hon. Lieut. Colonel Stuart (about 400 feet away); 1st Virginia Cavalry (about 500 feet away); Death of Stewart (about 500 feet away); Regulars’ Monument (about 600 feet away); The British Perspective (about 600 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Greensboro.
 
More about this marker. An image of a thirteen-star flag appears on the front of the monument.
 
Also see . . .
1. Guilford Courthouse National Military Park
Delaware Monument Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 1, 2010
2. Delaware Monument Marker
. National Park Service. (Submitted on August 27, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.) 

2. The Battle of Guilford Courthouse. The American Revolutionary War website. (Submitted on August 27, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.) 

3. The Battle of Guilford Courthouse 1781. An account of the Battle of Guilford Courthouse from a British perspective from BritishBattles.com. (Submitted on August 27, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.) 
 
Categories. War, US Revolutionary
 
Delaware Monument image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 1, 2010
3. Delaware Monument
This monument was dedicated to the Delaware Continental soldiers who fought at the Battle of Guilford Courthouse and the three Delaware soldiers who were reburied beneath it in 1888. These men have since been identified as Privates William Drew, John Toland, and Cornelius Hagney.
Monument in Guilford Courthouse NMP image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 1, 2010
4. Monument in Guilford Courthouse NMP
Delaware Monument Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 1, 2010
5. Delaware Monument Marker
It was near this site towards the end of the battle that British Gen. Charles Cornwallis had two cannon fire grapeshot into combatants fighting hand-to-hand. While this resulted in the deaths of many British troops, as well as Americans, it did put a stop to the fighting.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 439 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement