Bellefontaine in Logan County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Logan County, On Top of Ohio
<— 500 Yards East —«
A British-Indian Outpost was established in 1778 by the Tory, Alexander McKee, for trade with the Shawnees.
It was destroyed by Logan's Army in 1786, re-built, and used as a trading post for many years.
[South Side of Marker]
»— 500 Yards East —>
A British-Indian military headquarters during the American Revolution. Food and firearms were distributed here and American scalps bought. Stood near the creek bearing the founder's name.
Erected 1947 by Logan County Historical Society.
Location. 40° 19.589′ N, 83° 45.677′ W. Marker is in Bellefontaine, Ohio, in Logan County. Marker is on U.S. 68 south of McKeestown Road, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bellefontaine OH 43311, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Gunn's Tavern / Trading Post (approx. one mile away but has been reported missing); Hull's Army (approx. 1.7 miles away); The Home of Blue Jacket (approx. 2.2 miles away); Lewis R. Ratleff Park The Bellefontaine Examiner (approx. 2.3 miles away); Myeerah Trail / Historic Logan County (approx. 2.3 miles away); General Robert Patterson Kennedy (approx. 2.3 miles away); George Bartholomew (approx. 2.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Bellefontaine.
Categories. • Native Americans • War, US Revolutionary • Wars, US Indian •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 893 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.