“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Norcross in Gwinnett County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)

National Register of Historic Places – City of Norcross

National Register of Historic Places – City of Norcross Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, July 14, 2007
1. National Register of Historic Places – City of Norcross Marker
Inscription. The Norcross Historic District has been preserved as a 19th century railroad town, and its historical significance has been recognized by the U. S. Department of the Interior through its listing on the National Register of Historic Places on November 21, 1980. The Historic District sits along the eastern Continental Divide, which played a significant role in the early transportation and settlement of the area. Originally, the Creek and Cherokee Indians occupied this land and the Ridge Line was used as a major transportation route. Two American forts were established in the early 1800s: Fort Daniel at Hog Mountain and Fort Peachtree in Atlanta. These forts were connected by this old Indian trail which became the original Peachtree Road. Around 1840, this trail had evolved into a stagecoach route connecting South Carolina and Alabama through Georgia. In 1856, Jonathan Norcross, a former Atlanta Mayor, proposed the creation of the Richmond-Danville Railroad to open up Northeast Georgia. On September 12, 1869 John J. Thrasher bought the surrounding 250 acres and a town was born. The town was officially chartered by the Georgia General Assembly on October 26, 1870.
Erected by CIty of Norcross, Gwinnett County, Georgia.
Location. 33° 56.537′ N, 84° 12.712′ W. Marker is in Norcross, Georgia, in Gwinnett County. Marker is on Lawrenceville Street NW 0 miles north of Jones Street NW, on the left when traveling north. Click for map. The marker stands in front of the Norcross City Hall. Marker is at or near this postal address: 40 Lawrenceville Street NW, Norcross GA 30071, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of Norcross Presbyterian Church Circa 1899 (within shouting distance of this marker); Thrasher Park (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Brunswick Hotel (about 600 feet away); Historic Baptist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); "Holy Row" (approx. ľ mile away); Garrard's Cavalry at Buchanan's (approx. 3.2 miles away); State R.R. Survey (approx. 3.9 miles away); Loganís 15th Corps & Garrardís Cavalry (approx. 4.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Norcross.
Categories. Forts, CastlesNative AmericansRoads & VehiclesSettlements & Settlers
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 823 times since then and 84 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement