Magna in Salt Lake County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Pleasant Green Ward
Traveling so far to meetings presented a problem, so members met in private homes. The Pleasant Green Branch was organized July 29, 1877, with John Hirst as presiding elder. A small adobe chapel, 40 feet by 24 feet, was built on this site, and the first meeting was held December 30, 1877. The building also served as a public school. Hirst died September 7, 1878, and Levi Nephi Hardman became presiding elder.
The Pleasant Green Ward was organized October 1, 1882, with Hardman as the first bishop. The ward also included the Hunter Precinct within its boundaries. A much larger chapel, 60 feet by 30 feet, was built in 1897, with Hiram T. Spencer as bishop. Later the small adobe chapel was dismantled. In 1898 the ward had 70 families with 340 members.
In 1904 the ward became part of Pioneer Stake. An amusement hall with spring wooden floor was begun in 1912. Oquirrh Stake was organized from Pioneer Stake in 1923, and this building also served as its stake house for thirty-two years. In 1961 a new building was completed, and this building was no longer used by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Pleasant Green is the
Erected 1993 by Salt Lake West Company of the Daughters of Utah Pioneers. (Marker Number 467.)
Location. 40° 42.675′ N, 112° 5.902′ W. Marker is in Magna, Utah, in Salt Lake County. Marker is at the intersection of 2700 South and Titanium Drive (8650 W) when traveling east on 2700 South. Click for map. Marker is at the northeast corner of the intersection near the Christ Presbyterian Church. Marker is at or near this postal address: 8630 W 2700 South, Magna UT 84044, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Early Magna Settlements (approx. 2 miles away); Relief Society Granary (approx. 2 miles away); Hunter (approx. 3.6 miles away); Garfield & Lake Point Resorts (approx. 7.4 miles away); Pioneer Black Rock Resort (approx. 7.4 miles away but has been reported missing); English Fort (approx. 8.8 miles away); The Old School House (approx. 9.7 miles away); Bingham City Cemetery Veterans Memorial (approx. 10.1 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Magna.
Regarding Pleasant Green Ward. While the LDS Church ceased to use this building in 1961, once again it serves as the gathering place for another
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,465 times since then and 7 times this year. Last updated on , by Bryan R. Bauer of Kearns, Ut 84118. Photos: 1. submitted on , by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. 2, 3. submitted on , by Bryan R. Bauer of Kearns, Ut 84118. 4. submitted on , by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.