“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
West Valley City in Salt Lake County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)


Hunter Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bryan R. Bauer, August 26, 2010
1. Hunter Marker
Inscription. Homesteaders and settlers came in the 1870's to the area 4700 South to 7200 West, north to the Great Salt Lake, northeast along it's shore and the Davis County line to 4800 West and south to 4700 South. This area became Hunter Precinct in 1880 from the east part of Pleasant Green, and was named in honor of presiding Bishop Edward Hunter. The northern soil was too alkaline to farm. In 1881 the Utah Salt Lake Canal brought water to the central part. A 20' x 30' adobe chapel was erected in 1885 for religious meetings, 50th District School, and community activities. Hunter Branch became a ward in 1888. East of this site the 50th District School was built in 1891. The name was changed to Hunter School in 1906 and Whittier in 1908.
Erected 1982 by Daughters of Utah Pioneers; Hunter Camp - Eldorado Camp. (Marker Number 420.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of Utah Pioneers marker series.
Location. 40° 41.573′ N, 112° 2.05′ W. Marker is in West Valley City, Utah, in Salt Lake County. Marker is at the intersection of 6000 West and Brook Hollow Drive, on the right when traveling north on 6000 West. Click for map. The marker is on the fence line that separates the
Hunter Marker on Brick Fence Pillar image. Click for full size.
By Bryan R. Bauer, August 26, 2010
2. Hunter Marker on Brick Fence Pillar
Hunter LDS Chapel from Hunter Park. It is located on the south face of the second brick fence pillar from the street. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3665 S 6000 West, West Valley City UT 84128, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Relief Society Granary (approx. 3.1 miles away); Early Magna Settlements (approx. 3.1 miles away); Pleasant Green Ward (approx. 3.6 miles away); English Fort (approx. 5.2 miles away); The Old School House (approx. 6.2 miles away); Welby (approx. 7.6 miles away); Salt Lake and Utah Railroad (approx. 7.6 miles away); Utah Idaho Sugar Factory (approx. 7.6 miles away).
Categories. Churches, Etc.EducationSettlements & Settlers
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bryan R. Bauer of Kearns, Ut 84118. This page has been viewed 564 times since then and 68 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Bryan R. Bauer of Kearns, Ut 84118. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement