Florence in Lauderdale County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
created Feb. 6, 1818
Named for Col. James Lauderdale, cavalryman under Gen. John Coffee and Andrew Jackson, War of 1812; Killed in battle of New Orleans.
Coffee planned Florence, the county seat.
Jackson, President Madison owned lots.
Erected 1956 by Alabama Historical Association.
Location. 34° 47.901′ N, 87° 40.5′ W. Marker is in Florence, Alabama, in Lauderdale County. Marker is at the intersection of West Alabama Street and South Court Street, on the right when traveling west on West Alabama Street. Click for map. Marker is located on right side of the Courthouse. Marker is in this post office area: Florence AL 35630, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The American Legion (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Downtown Florence Historic District (about 700 feet away); Wheeler Rifles (about 700 feet away); St. Mark Baptist Church (about 800 feet away); The Rolling Stones in the Shoals in 1969/Sticky Fingers Ranks Among Greatest Albums Dred Scott (approx. 0.2 miles away); Dr. Hicks Boulevard (approx. 0.2 miles away); Church Spring and School (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Florence.
Categories. • War of 1812 •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. This page has been viewed 800 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.