Omaha in Douglas County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
The Old Market Historic Walking Tour
The Windsor Hotel, designed in the Italianate style, was constructed in two phases – the east wing was completed in 1885, and an addition to the west was finished by 1887. It was designed to be a workingman’s hotel, and with the proximity to both the Union and Burlington train stations, it became known as a railroader’s hotel. Railroad passengers stopped at its restaurant and bar during layovers. The Windsor overlooked the stalls of the noisy open-air public market to its west from 1903 until the market folded in 1964. Renamed the Windsor Inn, it was the last hotel in operation in the Old Market when it closed on June 30, 1979. In 1985, Emil Vohoska and Pete Drake completed their renovation of the building as the Windsor Square Apartments. Vohoska memorialized his grandson, Sam Zmolek, by adding the “Lion Fountain” to the south side of the building. Four-year-old Sam had died of leukemia in 1994. In that year, the Windsor became next-door neighbor to the revived “Farmers Market” during summer weekends.
Erected by The Old Market.
Location. 41° 15.273′ N, 95° 55.776′ W. Marker is in Omaha, Nebraska, in Douglas County. Marker is at the intersection of Jackson Street and 10th Street Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 518 South 10th Street, Omaha NE 68102, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Omaha Firehouse 1903-1904 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Morse Coe Building (about 600 feet away); Millard Block 1880-1881 (about 800 feet away); Anheuser-Busch Beer Depot 1887 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Omaha Union Station (approx. 0.2 miles away); J.P. Cooke Building 1885-1889 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Baum Iron Company Building 1880 (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Omaha Bolt, Nut and Screw Building (approx. ¼ mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Omaha.
Also see . . .
1. The Old Market. (Submitted on September 3, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
2. Old Market Historic District National Register Nomination. (Submitted on March 6, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page has been viewed 1,063 times since then and 112 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.