Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Omaha in Douglas County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

Millard Block 1880-1881

The Old Market Historic Walking Tour

 
 
Millard Block 1880-1881 Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., April 27, 2010
1. Millard Block 1880-1881 Marker
Inscription.
Omaha capitalist Ezra Millard, a former mayor of Omaha and the man for whom a western suburb was named, erected the four-story Millard Block in 1880-81. The first tenants were Tootle, Maul & Co., wholesale dry goods; Reed, Jones & Co., boots and shoes; and W.L. Parrotte & Co., hats and caps. But by the beginning of the 20th century, the busy factory of the F.P. Kirkendall Boot Company was established here. It was once the world's largest producer of riding boots, supplying them to such prestigious customers as King Gustav V of Sweden and Emperor Yoshohito of Japan, as well as working cowboys everywhere. On the night of January 28, 1905, a fire gutted the interior of the building, but left standing the sturdy walls, which are 30-inches thick at the base. The interior was then rebuilt and a fifth floor added to the building, enabling the Kirkendall Boot Factory to stay another 50 years. In 1995, Rubin Distributing Co. left the building to make way for new upscale apartments and retail.
 
Erected by The Old Market.
 
Location. 41° 15.385′ N, 95° 55.859′ W. Marker is in Omaha, Nebraska, in Douglas County. Marker is at the intersection of Harney Street and South 11th Street, on the right when traveling east on Harney
Millard Block 1880-1881 image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., April 27, 2010
2. Millard Block 1880-1881
Marker is on cast iron column immediately left of the green and white striped awnings to right of photo.
Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1105 Harney Street, Omaha NE 68102, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Morse Coe Building (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Baum Iron Company Building 1880 (about 600 feet away); Omaha Firehouse 1903-1904 (about 600 feet away); Windsor Hotel (about 800 feet away); J.P. Cooke Building 1885-1889 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Skinner Macaroni Building 1914-1915 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Woodmen of the World (approx. mile away); Anheuser-Busch Beer Depot 1887 (approx. mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Omaha.
 
Also see . . .
1. Ezra Millard Bio in Illustrated History of Nebraska. (Submitted on September 4, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Kirkendall Boots. (Submitted on September 4, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
3. The Old Market. (Submitted on September 4, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
4. Old Market Historic District National Register Nomination. (Submitted on March 6, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
Categories. Industry & Commerce
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 949 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement