Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Berea in Cuyahoga County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Baldwin University

 
 
Baldwin University Marker image. Click for full size.
By Christopher Light, November 3, 2007
1. Baldwin University Marker
Inscription. In 1845, Baldwin Institute, one of the first schools in the area open to all students regardless of gender, race, or creed, was chartered. The wealth generated by the sandstone and grindstone industries of Berea allowed John Baldwin to found the school. Ten years later, officials rechartered the school and renamed it Baldwin University. By the 1880's, the expanding quarries began to encroach on the original campus of the university, forcing it to relocate. In 1891, ground was broken for the new campus at the corner of Front Street and Bagley Road. Recitation Hall, renamed Wheeler Hall, was the first new building, followed by the Philura Gould Baldwin Memorial Library in 1894. In 1905, through the funding of the Carnegie Foundation, the Ladies Hall, renamed Carnegie Hall, was moved stone by stone to the new campus to serve as the science building. Baldwin University merged with German-Wallace College in 1913 to become Baldwin-Wallace College.
 
Erected 2003 by Baldwin-Wallace College, The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 61-18.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Carnegie Libraries, and the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
 
Location. 41° 22.413′ N, 81° 51.169′ 
Philura Gould Baldwin Memorial Library image. Click for full size.
By Christopher Light, November 3, 2007
2. Philura Gould Baldwin Memorial Library
W. Marker is in Berea, Ohio, in Cuyahoga County. Marker is on Front Street (Ohio Route 237) mile north of Bagley Road (Ohio Route 237). Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Berea OH 44017, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lyceum Square (approx. 0.4 miles away); First Congregational United Church of Christ of Berea (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Berea Triangle (approx. half a mile away); Berea Union Depot (approx. half a mile away); Berea Sandstone Quarries (approx. 0.6 miles away); The “Big Quarry” (approx. 0.6 miles away); Berea District Seven School (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Ark (approx. 0.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Berea.
 
Regarding Baldwin University. The original location can be seen by checking into the “Big Quarry” historic marker.
 
Also see . . .  Entry on Baldwin-Wallace College in the Encyclopedia of Cleveland History. (Submitted on April 20, 2009, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio.)
 
Categories. Abolition & Underground RREducation
 
Baldwin University Marker image. Click for full size.
By Christopher Light, November 3, 2007
3. Baldwin University Marker
Wheeler Hall image. Click for full size.
By Christopher Light, November 3, 2007
4. Wheeler Hall
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Christopher Light of Valparaiso, Indiana. This page has been viewed 1,762 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Christopher Light of Valparaiso, Indiana. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement