West Jordan in Salt Lake County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Utah Idaho Sugar Factory
West Jordan, Utah 1916-1970
In Orras, France, they carefully examined the sugar beet industry, and convinced of its possibilities, raised funds in England and purchased equipment in Liverpool, England. Early in 1852 the equipment was shipped to Fort Leavenworth, Kansas. Then it was placed on 40 sturdy Santa Fe wagons; each drawn by 4 to 8 oxen. This private enterprise faced monumental setbacks and many wagons were replaced before they reached Provo, Utah one year later.
Due to insufficient funds, ownership of the property was transferred to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, who set up a “pilot plant” on the northeast corner of the Temple block. Another plant was built on Parley’s Creek and later known as “Sugarhouse”. In 1854 the factory was ready for operation but it never flourished due to inexperience, lack of
The vision was not dead, however. Arthur Stayner examined the industry in California and with 20 stockholders, he organized the Utah Sugar Company of Lehi, Utah, August 30, 1889. The original principals involved were: Elias Morris, President; Franci Armstrong, Vice President; James Jack, Treasurer; Arthur Staymer, Secretary and General Manager, and James H. Gardner, Sugar Boiler.
This venture was successful and provided the incentive for other factories in Utah and Idaho, including the large U & I Plant at West Jordan, which became the model of productivity, research, and cooperation between farmers, producers, and consumers for 55 years. Great economic growth was derived from the millions of dollars dispersed throughout Utah and Idaho from research and the manufacturing of sugars and syrups.
Over 13,163,157 one-hundred pound sacks of sugar were produced from over 4,910,869 tons of sugar beets. The West Jordan Plant’s research contributed to the control of sugar beet diseases, including the dreaded “curly top,” and in development of Hybrid Monogerm seeds. The factory was constructed at West
Erected 1986 by Sons of Utah Pioneers - Jordan River Temple Chapter. (Marker Number 12.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Sons of Utah Pioneers marker series.
Location. 40° 36.418′ N, 111° 56.576′ W. Marker is in West Jordan, Utah, in Salt Lake County. Marker is on 1825 West 0.1 miles south of 7800 South (Utah Highway 48), on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Located in the Veteran’s Memorial Park west of City Hall; northwest of the children's play structure and the pavilion; southeast of the ball fields. Best access to the marker is via 1825 West off of 7800 South. Marker is in this post office area: West Jordan UT 84088, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Salt Lake and Utah Railroad (here, next to this marker); West Jordan Pioneer Church West Jordan (approx. 0.9 miles away); North Jordan Canal (approx. one mile away); West Jordan Settlement (approx. one mile away); The Old School House (approx. 2.2 miles away); Welby (approx. 2.9 miles away); Mingo Smelter (approx. 3.1 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in West Jordan.
Categories. • 20th Century • Agriculture • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 4,241 times since then and 177 times this year. Last updated on , by Bryan R. Bauer of Kearns, Ut 84118. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. 4. submitted on , by Glade R. Player of Taylorsville, Utah. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.