Belton in Anderson County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Greenville & Columbia RR / Belton
Erected 2009 by Belton Area Museum Association. (Marker Number 4-36.)
Location. 34° 31.317′ N, 82° 29.617′ W. Marker is in Belton, South Carolina, in Anderson County. Marker is at the intersection of North Main Street (State Highway 20) and Anderson Street (U.S. 178), on the right when traveling south on North Main Street. Click for map. Marker
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Belton Depot (within shouting distance of this marker); Belton / Historic Belton (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Belton Standpipe (about 600 feet away); Belton Academy / Central School (approx. 0.2 miles away); Chamberlain-Kay House (approx. ¼ mile away); First Baptist Church of Belton (approx. 0.3 miles away); Belton Veterans Memorial (approx. half a mile away); Rocky River Baptist Association Headquarters (approx. 1.5 miles away); Dorchester Baptist Church World War II Veterans Plaque (approx. 2.2 miles away); Cooley's Bridge (approx. 5 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Belton.
Also see . . .
1. Greenville & Columbia. This road was chartered in 1845, construction began in 1849 and was completed in 1854. (Submitted on September 10, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
2. John Belton O'Neall. John Belton O'Neall, jurist, born in Bush river, South Carolina, 10 April, 1793; died near Newberry, South Carolina, 27 September, 1863. (Submitted on September 10, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
3. City of Belton, SC. The City of Belton, South Carolina is a thriving and stable community nestled in the eastern part of Anderson County. (Submitted on September 10, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
4. Belton, South Carolina. Belton is a city in eastern Anderson County, South Carolina, United States. (Submitted on September 10, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
5. Group Seeking Money for Historic Marker at Belton Train Depot. The Belton Train Depot has been around for 100 years and officials are just now getting around to marking the spot. (Submitted on October 7, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
1. Proposed Marker Text - Final Shows on Marker
The following text was originally proposed by the museum. It was altered to what appears on the marker.
In order to access the agricultural bounty of the upstate, in 1845 a route was proposed connecting the Piedmont Region to the existing rail system from Columbia to Charleston. At this point on the tracks, a spur line was laid toward Anderson, and the city of Belton developed at this rail junction. By 1853 the Greenville-Columbia RR (later the Southern RR) and the Blue Ridge RR (the spur line) offered passenger and freight service.
At the railroad junction, the city square formed around the original depot. Incorporated in 1855, the city was named after Judge John Belton O’Neall, the President of the G&C RR. An electric rail system was added in 1902 and by 1912 the Piedmont and Northern line was completed. In 1914 the city could boast that 85 trains or trolleys of the Southern, Blue Ridge or P&N rail lines passed through Belton daily. The Historic Belton Train Depot was built in 1909.
— Submitted October 7, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,351 times since then and 5 times this year. Last updated on , by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 6, 7. submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 8, 9, 10, 11, 12. submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.