Inscription. This park, first designated as a Public Walk, was laid out as part of the original plans of Florence in 1818. On February 20, 1924, the Board of City Commissioners officially changed its name from City Park to Woodrow Wilson Park in honor of the former U.S. President following his death on February 3, 1924. After retiring in 1924 as minister of the Trinity Episcopal Church, the Reverend Cassius Lee Price, and his wife, Mary Emily Savage Price, planned and supervised the landscaping and the planting of the trees in this park.
By Sandra Hughes, July 17, 2009
|1. Woodrow Wilson Park Marker|
Erected 2009 by Florence Historical Board Florence, Alabama.
Location. 34° 48.225′ N, 87° 40.51′ W. Marker is in Florence, Alabama, in Lauderdale County. Marker is at the intersection of East Tuscaloosa Street and North Wood Street (County Road 47), on the right when traveling east on East Tuscaloosa Street. Click for map. Located in Woodrow Wilson Park. Marker is in this post office area: Florence AL 35630, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Wood Avenue Church of Christ (within shouting distance of this marker); Wood Avenue Historic District (within shouting distance of this marker); Sculpture Relief Books and Learning (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Florence Synodical Female College (about 300 feet away); Regions Bank (about 400 feet away); First Baptist Church 1888 (about 400 feet away); First United Methodist Church (about 500 feet away); Walnut Street Historic District (about 500 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Florence.
By Sandra Hughes, April 11, 2010
|2. Woodrow Wilson Park|
Also see . . . Wikipedia:Florence, Alabama. Florence was surveyed for the Cypress Land Company in 1818 by Italian surveyor Ferdinand Sannoner, who named it after Florence, the capital of the Tuscany region of Italy. Florence, Alabama was incorporated in 1826. (Submitted on September 14, 2010, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa.)
Credits. This page originally submitted on September 12, 2010, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. This page has been viewed 1,386 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 12, 2010, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |